• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Levers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The creeping loading lever arrangement of the 1860 Army revolver is touted as superior to Colt’s earlier designs, but the actual advantage is never mentioned, like it’s so obvious that it’s readily apparent to everyone.
I happen to have one 1860 Army, one 1851 Navy, and two Pocket Navies, and I don’t see the advantage of the “ creeper “.

So, what is it?

The earlier gun's loading lever is a hinged affair; the later is a rack & pinnon system

The difference is much the same as vehicles with & w/o rack & pinon steering.

I realize I’m talking different calibers, but the Navy lever seems to work at least as well the Army lever
I can’t say I have ever noticed any difference in required effort.
How about you?

The "creeping" load lever was definitely a mechanical advantage over the previous load levers (1847 Walker, 1848 Dragoon, 1848/1849 Pocket, and 1851 Navy) but there were some problems with it. The 1860 barrel is not much different than the 1851 Navy barrel insofar as circumference to bore, and being .44 caliber there is less material between the outside of the barrel and the bore. It has been observed that the barrel "rack" on the 1860 shows up on the 1860 barrel bore.

If you wish to learn more, obtain a copy of Charles W. Pate's fantastic book The Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver (2018). He documents this very well.

Regards,

Jim

In the book Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888 the author quotes a report written in 1863 from George Ramsey of the Ordnance Dept. where he complains about the Colts Army and Navy pistols (new model), i.e. 1860 and 1861 models. In part it reads:

"The spaces between the ratchet holes, or countersinks, in the Barrel (in which the lever works) I have found to be torn out and in many cases had to substitute a new Barrel, where the old barrel would have answered, but for the cause named, very often the nibs or jogs, on the lever are broken off. The arrangement of the Lever and Rammer in the old Model, seems to stand the wear of service much better than the new Model."

In .36 cal. the mech. advantage is nominal..44s take extra effort. Try the 1860 Colt .44 vs. Rem. New Army .44 or R&S .44. You may notice the Colt 60 takes less effort. I have found frame loading my 1860 for a typical 80-100 round session reasonable but must load the Rem.N.A. off frame in a press or suffer afterwards...c

Back