• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loading cylinders using a press

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your reference for changing cylinders to reload back in the day? Have read they may have carried multiple revolvers, but didn’t carry spare cylinders. If they were extra cylinders for swapping one would expect numerous loose individual cylinders to be found on battlefields, though that doesn’t seem to be the case. Except maybe on the set of Pale Rider or an old Bonanza episode. Also curious why period pistol boxes never seem to have a spot for ‘those extra’ cylinders?
Pistols were mainly used for officers and cavalry in the Civil War. The idea was to run through a troop of infantry and break up unit cohesion with pistols and saber. They would shoot dry, run out of range or behind obstacles, reload and do it all over again. They were not reloading in the middle of the fracas during the charge. That is why often you would find cavalry troops with multiple revolvers stuffed into various belts , holsters and tunics.

I have no idea about the Colt revolvers, but in the reference material I have re: Remington revolvers, there is no mention of (that I could find) the U.S. Ordnance purchasing any spare or extra cylinders to go along with the issued revolvers. There is reference to spare cones, nipple wrenches and bullet molds being purchased, but no indication of any other cylinders being purchased.

Maybe some did carry extra cylinders scavenged from damaged revolvers or something, but from what I could find it certainly doesn't seem to be the standard.

If someone has photos or other documentation showing the carrying of extra cylinders was common, I'd like to see them.

I think, as mentioned above, the most common form of reloading a percussion revolver in a hurry was the "New York reload" - carrying two or more revolvers at a time - so when one went empty, you stuff that one away and grab another.

As far as the OP's question goes, I much prefer to use a loading press. I find it so much easier to just load the cylinder off the revolver - for both the Colt and Remington styles.

It is much easier of course to remove the cylinder from the Remington, but for all practical matters the Colt is really not much more difficult - just a couple extra steps really that take no more than 30 seconds or so to perform.

I really like the EZE Loader as mentioned above. The same thing is sold through Powder, Inc, and Dixie Gun Works. Fantastic piece of kit. Should last a lifetime.

I use a paper cartridge kit from cartridgekits.com and carry a steel pipe with me when I go out to shoot my cap n ball pistols. With just a little bit of extra leverage on the loading lever using the steel pipe, even those Richmond pattern bullets in the 36es aren't very hard to shave. I've thought about getting the press at Powderinc.com though. And I do carry extra cylinders with my Remingtons. There is a guy on Etsy selling belt cases for them very reasonable.

I use a paper cartridge kit from cartridgekits.com and carry a steel pipe with me when I go out to shoot my cap n ball pistols. With just a little bit of extra leverage on the loading lever using the steel pipe, even those Richmond pattern bullets in the 36es aren't very hard to shave. I've thought about getting the press at Powderinc.com though. And I do carry extra cylinders with my Remingtons. There is a guy on Etsy selling belt cases for them very reasonable.
Spare ,loaded and capped cylinders is like carrying a single action Colt fully cocked in the holster. All one has to do is fumble and drop it when changing cylinders or bump into some other sold metal and a uncontrolled discharge is very possible.

M. De Land did. The earlier discussion of troopers carrying extra loaded cylinders infers it. It wouldn't be very practical to swap out a cylinder on horseback during a battle and then have to cap it.

Unfortunately there are novices out there who don't realize the danger of a capped cylinder.

Yea I would beg to differ that there is not a man alive who would not know that if you hit the cap on the capped cylinder, that it fires. And it was the first nanny, to your second nanny, that felt the urge to preach his concerns for our collective safety. The original question was about cylinder loaders, not carrying capped cylinders.

This has to be the most argumentative forum on the planet. You have to be kidding me. You and five more people want to publicly dispute whether people had more than one cylinder loaded for their cap & ball revolvers, "back in the day". I give up! Why don't you give a dissertation on the use of extra loaded cylinders, so that the rest of us can be less confused & you can correct all of us stupid members on what "really" happened 150 years ago. This place is getting so petty that I'm ready to give up. What exactly is your point, other than your opinion is superior to anyone else's. Why don't you provide info relevant to the OP's question instead of attacking me????
Didn’t realize asking for a reference was an argumentative personal attack. Guess you could have just said you have no reference or documentation for ‘Back in the day, like during the Civil War, changing the cylinder was the way they reloaded’. Was hoping you had something to end the ‘argument’.

When I shot SASS I would go to a match with all my cylinders (usually 6 to 12) preloaded except for the percussion caps, which if on the nipples, would have been a major safety violation and would gotten me a MDQ. Carried extra cylinders to the line in leather Ruger 10-22 magazine pouches on my belt. Although it’s an oxymoron to say the traditionalists in SASS, I would be told by those types that I should be shooting in the B Western category when I carried spare cylinders, cause it was only done in the movies.

And for what it is worth, I did and still use an arbor press to preload my cylinders, just like the ones everyone carried in their saddlebag, and used ‘back in the day’......

People like you are why I left SASS, and I am 19811 (life), so not a johnny come lately. There was no statistical or even anecdotal evidence that the insane "everyone's a range officer now" approach was ever required. You people just felt uncomfortable around real guns I think. But hey you go to dress up in your fav movie costumes and have a great back slappin barbecue right.

Last edited by a moderator:
People like you are why I left SASS, and I am 19811 (life), so not a johnny come lately. There was no statistical or even anecdotal evidence that the insane "everyone's a range officer now" approach was ever required. You fool nannys just felt uncomfortable around real guns I think. But hey you go to dress up in your fav movie costumes and have a great back slappin barbecue right.
Guess you were referring to me, but all I did was bring up some SASS safety rules and comments I got about carrying preloaded percussion cylinders. Didn’t take a ‘fool nanny’ position on either side of any rule or regulations. Personally, it’s been years since I shot SASS, and honestly don’t even remember my number. Didn’t care for the way it was going and just headed off into the sunset. And for what it is worth, never got got deep into the costumes, let alone B Western. Ultimately lost interest for numerous reasons, however, way off topic for this thread and not something for this forum.

The nannies are never far, and ever watchful.
Long as your liberties don't infringe on my safety we have no problem. I was very obviously referring to charged and capped extra cylinders. If you were doing that then we would have a big problem I wouldn't mind saying so wither you liked it or not!

Yea that is generally the nanny policy. You feel that you are somehow more aware and superior than your peers, so you have to protect them from themselves. We have all been to the range with yahoos who scared the hell out of us, but you don't encounter that with fellow dedicated enthusiasts, and you should keep your fearful musings of what could happen to yourself. You aren't superior. And all of things you suggest to make yourself feel safe don't make you any safer. Stick to your movies and leave the real guns to people who have respect for their peers.

I am sure this has been discussed before but the search did not yield what I was looking for.

How many folks load their cylinders using a press with the cylinder removed from the revolver?

I would think this would work well for Remingtons but do some folks do this for Colts too? Removing the wedge to reload?

I think that loading the revolver with the built in ram using a loading stand is the way to go but there are so many neat cap and ball revolvers with short barrels. These have short loading levers if they even have a loading lever at all. I would think that a press would work well for these but I would think that taking the cylinder off and putting it back on would be a PITA if you are using a Colt clone.
I made a bronze ‘sleeve ’ to slide over the loading lever on my 1849 pocket revolver and loading is a breeze - even with 00 buckshot (.330 dia.). With a brass framed gun I would load it off the gun as much as possible.

I think the breech face takes its beating from loading. On firing, anything loose (or suspended -like a cylinder) moves foreward, slams into barrel face, and that stresses the wedge fitment. Ever seen a loose scope or barrel band move towards the butt?

Back