• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading blocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Bays

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Does anyone use a loading block? A block with, say .50 inch hole to hold a roundball and patch?
I have a laser cutter and I was thinking of cutting one to see if I could use it. Now sure if it would be....just one more thing to carry, or if people find them helpful
Thanks
Jeremy

I have several but do not use them as I find them to be another item I don't need to lug around. I just keep the balls either in a small ball bag or loose in my hunting pouch.

Dave

I have a 50 caliber one I made years ago. I used it when deer hunting. It worked well with pre measured charges so I could quickly reload and miss again.

I don’t use one for casual shooting. I like the idea of one for smaller calibers when hunting.

I was wondering about how useful they would turn out to be. Seems like if I brought everything to the range with me, I would need a U-haul. I am working on a simple, striped down setup I can carry in a small bag.

When going out for a morning or evening sit during deer season, I no longer carry my full bag and powder horn. A three-ball loading block with patched round balls and three pre-measured powder tubes is all I carry. They neatly stow in my waistcoat pocket and there is nothing around my neck to get caught in brush.

ADK Bigfoot

Does anyone use a loading block? A block with, say .50 inch hole to hold a roundball and patch?
I have a laser cutter and I was thinking of cutting one to see if I could use it. Now sure if it would be....just one more thing to carry, or if people find them helpful
Thanks
Jeremy
You mean something like this?
Bigshirtweb.jpg

Those Turkey track holes are too cool.

I carry a small block with two or three balls. Strictly for hunting. It just goes into the bag. Most seasons they are not used and are shot at next range trip. I also have additional balls and fresh patch material in the bag. Actually, everything I need to fire 10 or 15 shots. Just in case of an attack by grouse, bunnies or squirrels! Also, impromptu shooting sessions have been known to happen. :)

It's easy to overthink this stuff. A good approach is to shoot your range sessions from the bag as though you are hunting. You will quickly determine what works best for you in your situation.

I'm with Quinn. For the small calibers, (32 & 36) I like to use the ball block because with cold fingers I have trouble handling those tiny balls. I also use them on our trail walk shoots as they are less trouble than hunting around for ball, patches and lube in my bag. For Deer hunting, I have a custom ball block that holds two patched round balls, two powder charge tubes, a short starter and either a leather band with caps or a leather sleeve with a pan primer. I think they are convenient in the field, but not necessary when at the range.

I like loading blocks when hunting and when you may want a quick reload. One thing I have noticed however is that if a ball is left in the block for an extended period of time, the patch can become fused to the ball. I mean really stuck to it such that it must be peeled off with some effort. Therefore, I leave the blocks empty until a day or two before the planned hunt.

I have had the same experience with patched balls left in ball blocks for an extended period. Some are hard to drive out of the block and the patches are adhered to the ball. Fresh balls, fresh patches, fresh lube, and make sure the holes in the block aren't too tight. Use soon after or disassemble to keep from having them dry out and become stuck.

ADK Bigfoot

If your making a loading block and want to add a nice feature that lines up the patched ball with the bore you can add a counterbore that fits over the end of your octagon barrel to centralize things. It only needs to be about 1/16" to 1/8" deep to work.

If your barrel measures 7/8ths or 1 inch across the flats a 1 inch counterbore would do. If the barrel is 15/16" or 1" across the flats a 1 1/8" counterbore will work.

The thing to remember is the counterbore must be centered with the thru hole for the ball and patch.
That means it should be bored before the thru hole is drilled.
After making the counterbored hole, use the smaller hole left by the drill bit to centralize the thru drill hole to finish the job.

Here's a link to a topic about the size of the hole to drill thru the block for different caliber guns.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/loading-block-drill-bit-chart.18926/

When you want to load your patched ball, just place the block against the end of the barrel with the counterbore facing down. When it snaps in place the ball should be aligned with the bore, ready for ramming.

We can’t prove they were used before about 1870. Useing them and a short starter with a powder measure drilled in it and tied to the block, loading from the bag and starting with a loaded guns I got off eight shots in three min and twenty seconds.

Thanks
Jeremy
My hands don’t work so well these days, due to damage and age, so I tend to use a loading block for competition shooting. Makes life just a little easier

I have a 5 ball block I carry hunting but cut at the muzzle when I am shooting targets.

For those of you who don't know, there is a drill bit chart in the how to section for each standard caliber. I found that 35/64" drill bits are scarce locally so I turned to ebay.

I like making these blocks as well so I have a pile of them.

loading block drill size.gif

loading block 001.JPG

Last edited:
Back