• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loading Blocks for patched round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy flat paddle bits oversize and grind down to size a little bit at a time on both edges and try with scraps until it holds a patched ball. Any hardwood will do. I used to compete in a competition that required 12 shots +2 for sighters. That 14 round loading block now amost qualifies as a high capacity mag here in Colorado.

Snake, how much of that kit did you make yourself, sir?
Well, let me see, I made the block, the cross, all the sinew hanging threads/straps, and replaced the buckles on the bag etc with period correct hardware. Also made the antler measure. The bag & horn were a set by Brad Emig from Cabin Creek ML's, the brass is Ted Cash, The flint wallet & forged hammer/turn key TOTW

I have a woodworking shop that includes a planer. With that I can make a hunk of wood whatever thickness I want to suit any caliber for a loading block. Handy tool to have. Search out a friend who might have one you can use.

I made mine out of maple for .490 patched roundball. First I used a 15/16 paddle bit about 1/4 inch deep to accommodate my barrel. Then using the center hole as a guide I used a 1/2 drill bit for my .490 ball and .010 patch combination. The second board is same patched roundball combination except I only drilled with a 1/2 bit and not a 15/16 paddle bit.

Attachments

• 20220909_202259.jpg
    20220909_202259.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
They are really easy to make, the sky is the limit on design, just about any piece of scrap wood will work.

Here is the drill bit size chart, you can use any bit that is close to these sizes and adjust the hole to be bigger with a file or piece of sand paper. I have a number of .54s so I bought the bit listed on the chart but it isn't completely necessary.

View attachment 153876

These are fun to make and before long all your friends will be overstocked with them as well from the ones you gave them.

View attachment 153878
Thanks for sharing this.

I found the information in the chart less than accurate for my needs. In other words, the holes proved too small on the sizes I tried. It ain’t rocket surgery, thumb fit ball and patch in a hole. I made up some .45, 50, and .54 for the prize blanket for the ‘vous, they all got grabbed up. I am pondering making a semi-circle block hung on a neckless for my .36, should not be too heavy. Just swing it up to load and then let it hang. There are threads on the forum of some member crafted blocks. There are some handy and creative people here.
I too found a bigger hole better. 9/16 for .50, and 5/8 for .54.
Thumb start easy when loading one, greased patch holds well in carry.

Eric,
If the balls protrude on one side, they are dead easy to centre over the muzzle without the extra work.

Very best,
Rich.

I make my blocks pretty close to the thickness of the hole, that way nothing sticks out to get too dirty or rub off lube. I just push one out a little before loading.

I have lost track of how many conventional loading blocks I have made, all worked perfectly with no problems starting the ball even in a heated hunting situation. I am just an old tinkerer, live alone and have WAY too much free time, I need another ball board like I need an extra hole in my head but if a good idea comes up for me to waste time on, I go for it.

I currently don't have a loading block. I know, I know. Anyway this thread pushed me to start making one for my .50's. I was going to saw up some Cypress I have but I spied a piece of old Red Oak I had and used that. Its just ruffed out now, so I'll finish it tomorrow and post the finished product. But its tea time now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220910_163913.jpg
    IMG_20220910_163913.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
I currently don't have a loading block. I know, I know. Anyway this thread pushed me to start making one for my .50's. I was going to saw up some Cypress I have but I spied a piece of old Red Oak I had and used that. Its just ruffed out now, so I'll finish it tomorrow and post the finished product. But its tea time now.
I also started making loading blocks for my couple guns. Love them, it is a great idea.

The ones carried in my possibles pouch are made from antler, double holers. I use them only when hunting. I have experimented with various "quick load" designs landing on a couple pre-measured powder charges contained in very authentic plastic film cans, not as common as they once were in our digital age, a loading block and capper.

Back