• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Blocks for patched round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are really easy to make, the sky is the limit on design, just about any piece of scrap wood will work.

Here is the drill bit size chart, you can use any bit that is close to these sizes and adjust the hole to be bigger with a file or piece of sand paper. I have a number of .54s so I bought the bit listed on the chart but it isn't completely necessary.

View attachment 153876

These are fun to make and before long all your friends will be overstocked with them as well from the ones you gave them.

View attachment 153878
Thank you for those bit size's. I'm going to make me one.

I use an axe to make mine. :)
Holes can be burned in with a hot iron rod, or enlarged that way. gets away from factory look!

20201228_143615.jpg

probably get good results with sandpaper and a .495 drill bit for a precise fit, I wonder if my 50 cal coning tool would do the same..?

You could use the old redneck method and waller out the hole a little by wobbling the bit side to side around the hole while turning the bit.
yeah but its too easy to remove too much material, that the balls fall out easily. use the back end of a drill you just bored it out with, then add sandpaper and sand to size.. you guys will figure it out

Rifleman,
yes, well used.
the little crosses are for critters bagged. Deer and such on the face, and crosses on sides for smaller stuff like beaver sized.

I remember grandad burning holes in wood when he didn't have a drill the right size.
Just don't do it in the kitchen unless you live on your ownesome!

Any bit size suggested for .715 round ball? My first bullet block was inlet on one side to slide over the 13/16ths octagon flats on the .45 Douglas barrel. Even with a 42" barrel and pre loaded powder tubes I could load and shoot one shot every 15 seconds. No short starter was used. The rifle was caplock.

Any bit size suggested for .715 round ball? My first bullet block was inlet on one side to slide over the 13/16ths octagon flats on the .45 Douglas barrel. Even with a 42" barrel and pre loaded powder tubes I could load and shoot one shot every 15 seconds. No short starter was used. The rifle was caplock.
harbor freight has a cheapo taper reamer, might get close enough to hold the balls in

Back