• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading block trick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've taken to making my loading blocks a bit thicker than necessary. This allows me to seat a greased felt wad under the ball and ram both down together. Saves fumbling around with cold fingers and makes the reload a bit more efficient. The greased wads seem to keep fouling soft and I get more shots before having to swab.

upload_2019-1-18_10-46-1.png

With a thicker block, one can also add a counterbore to center the round onto the muzzle! That’s what I do for my blocks that I run the Winter snowshoe MZL biathlons with, at least when not using paper cartridge loads.

A
I've taken to making my loading blocks a bit thicker than necessary. This allows me to seat a greased felt wad under the ball and ram both down together. Saves fumbling around with cold fingers and makes the reload a bit more efficient. The greased wads seem to keep fouling soft and I get more shots before having to swab.

View attachment 3244
All right. Now drill your short starter hole deep enough to make a powder charger. Pull one piece from bag, pull short starter, charge gun start ball and run home return pack to bag.... easy-peasy:)

View attachment 3244
Tom,
Nice work!!
I'm partial to the round type.
Are you hanging it off your shooting bag strap or on a separate Wang?

Yeah, I like the round style also for hunting. Have tried it on the bag strap but find it flops and bangs around a bit and the measure dingles like a bell. So, I put it in the bag now.
Tom,
Mark Baker recommended wearing it above the sternum high on the chest and if I recall, on separate Wang around the neck.
Not sure I agree for the same reason you mention

I drilled 2 extra holes in my TOTW bullet board so I could stack 3 wads in each hole to match up with the 6 PRB’s the board came with. The short starter pushes on a wad stack till one wad slides out the other side. I insert the wad into the muzzle first then I use the bottom hemisphere of the PRB I’m pushing out to locate and lock into the muzzle, then smack it down.

Back