• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loading block ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave2C, leave it to you to post some of the most exquisite accouterments...as usual! :thumbsup:

Is there ANYTHING you touch to make that doesn't just end up as pure gold???? :grin: You have to have the most extensive range of skills to make fine traditional gear as I've seen. :applause: :applause:

I have made them in heart shapes and stained red to give to the young ladies in the 4H program who did not place in matches.

colorado clyde said:
:haha: Reminds me of a Bon Jovi song.

Who is he?

Why does doing things for others bring sarcasm and how do your comments relate to the OP?

I have a few of Skunkskinner's curved ones with the striped grain pattern...curved ones seem to fit my hand the best.
Here's one example when I was field testing solid brass balls out of my .58cal a couple years ago:

I like mine thin so the ball protrudes and can be easily lined up correctly with the bore.

Spence

Horner75,

Oh manure !!! You're right ! I'll make another one.

The left loading block is for a .32 ...very small. The other two are .50 cal. The two black ones are ebony. The right side block is made of Kauri wood...the wood is "mined" from underground and is 50,000 years old (Google it). The cross shaped block I made for an ex Army fellow who left the service due to wounds and became a preacher.

Spikebuck said:
Even with thicker ones, I push my ball in far enough to protrude a little out the bottom as well.
Same here...my board thickness varies a little with caliber/ball diameter

Thanks for explaining, my musical knowledge is very very limited.

One girl feelings were hurt when she received a medal and those who did not place received red hearts.

Very nice workmanship and shapes and I like the variegated colors.

I have a barn full of what they call in the marine industry as dunnage, wood used for flooring in ships and barges to protect cargo.
The wood is really dense. Some is what they call iron wood. Almost impossible to drill holes in.

I have been making loading blocks and blocks to hold vials to hold pre-measured charges from dunnage.

I have some wood that came from a WWII ship, it was deck wood from the bow, it was a troop transport ship. It never will been seen again, I took it all.

I managed to get 25 sheets of British Honduras mahogany, 4' by 8'.

What I have been looking for is some quality cedar to make blocks from, cannot find anything to my liking.

Cedar, of any variety, is going to be WAY too soft and prone to splitting for making loading blocks.

:wink:

Mongo40 said:
Most of mine are plain, here's a little two baller I made for my 45.
quote]

LOL :haha:
Nice work, and what kind of wood is that? Maple?(I had to take the picture down to 50% to get some focus on it.) That would look fine hanging from a shooting bag.

Thanks for the information, I just like the many color's found in cedar. I have a lot of cedar furniture, none is the same.

Back to my old hard wood.

Tulip poplar isn't terribly hard, but should be strong enough for a loading block. Poplar can be found colored brown, deep olive green, and streaks of purple and black. :wink:

Unfortunately, every time I finish purple poplar, the purple color tends to disappear into just a dark color. :(

Back