• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loading block ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I made my first loading block yesterday and it works great but its really plain and I am wanting to see other people's loading block and get ideas. I made a 2 bullet one and I thought I would try something else and just wanting ideas thanks

For some reason I cant post pic I dont know why other then I'm on a smartphone and not a computer

Sometimes the best loading block is a simple strip of, say, two to five rounds if you are out hunting.

For a larger block, try to keep the distance between then center of the hole and the edge of the block just a hair less than the distance between the center of the muzzle and the ramrod tip. This if your ramrod sticks out a little beyond your muzzle AND/OR you want a larger block with, say, three rows of patched ball.

In the case of the latter, I found I was placing an empty hole on the block over the ramrod tip to access the middle row. Handy when on a trail walk and in a small enough group where you want to load a little faster.

Nothing wrong with plain, by the way. If you are going to gussy up anything, do it on the handle or the thong holding it. Have you chamfered the edge of each hole?

I have made many loading blocks. Most are pretty plain. I do bevel the edges of the holes for easier loading. And, sometimes I hold the round stone I use for beveling tight to the hole to give a dark burn ring for a bit of 'fancy'. The one shown here is maybe the fanciest :wink: I've made. It is a 20 ga./.600" one holer with a single back-up charge available. The most extra shots any of us will probably ever need when trying to murder Bambi.
loader.jpg
[/URL][/img]

OK, here is one more.
bulletblock.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Yes I am I ain't been on it in awhile but I did get back on it and added some pic of it my username is jrbaker90 thanks

The one made from a piece of antler with a ball in it and extra charge is clever. Why didn't I think of that? A guy could go hunting with a load in the gun and one of those in your pocket, all set for two shots. Will have to make me one of those. Thanks for the idea.

Ldog

laffindog said:
The one made from a piece of antler with a ball in it and extra charge is clever. Why didn't I think of that? A guy could go hunting with a load in the gun and one of those in your pocket, all set for two shots. Will have to make me one of those. Thanks for the idea.

Ldog
I am going to make one of those too, great idea!!!

Dave2, Ya screwed up on the loading board in the top pic. On the right side board, the hole third up on the left is off a little off! .... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Back