• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loading block basics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is there a spot here for newbies that shows general basics? That may save me from asking simple questions?

Gonnaake a loading block for the .54.
Type of wood mattter? Size and thickness?
Thanks
Timber

I like harder wood but anything will work, I have made them out of walnut, cherry and osage because I have a lot of each.

walnut loading block 001.JPG

The ball thickness will determine the board thickness, I like mine at or near the ball diameter, I start the balls in the block with a ball starter and have the ball slightly protruding out the other side.

Here is a drill chart for each caliber, you don't have to have a 35/64 bit to make a .54 block, I suspect you could use a 1/2" bit and sand the openings to fit.

I have a lot of .54s so I bought the 35/64 bit, even with the bit you may have to sand the hole to enlarge it a little to fit your choice of patch and ball in the hole

loading block drill size.gif

I prefer leather.....here is my little turtle.
20221024_120125.jpg
2 layers of very thick saddle skirting.

Once I made a loading block out of red oak and it chipped pretty badly between the holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to make mine like Pietro. The larger recess fits over the end of the barrel and the ball is then perfectly centered over the bore. Nice work!

I’ve made a few and the chart diameters did not work for me, holes ended up larger. I used some scrap Oak flooring and it worked well. I want to make some more and get a little fancy with the boards. My first ones were straight boards and while they work fine are not very artistic. Good luck.

Never thought about making them from leather but it looks like a great idea to me. I've made cappers out of leather so I'd bet I could do it for a ball board.

I put a large champher on one side to ease the loading. You want a fit that is tight enough to hold the ball but not overly tight.

Back