• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loading bismuth shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello;
I just purchased a Trade musket (20 bore), and I would like to know if I load bismuth shot the same as I would lead shot, i.e. same volume of black powder. Any tips would be appreciated.

Bismuth is close to lead in density. So, performance should be similar. A given volume of bismuth might be a little lighter and a little faster than lead. You might actually load slightly more bismuth to obtain the same patterns. It is also harder so in theory will pattern better. You will have to experiment to find a load that the gun likes, but you still should try to load by volume. Besides weighing charges in the field is a pain. Good luck.

I have a friend who is a competetive shooter with modern scatterguns, and he swears by bismuth. I have have a couple of friends who shoot biz in trade guns and fowlers at water fowl who also like it.

My only advice, spend the day at the range, put your gun on the bench, and shoot about 20 patterning shots at butcher paper, or until you find the load that works. Change in 5gr increments either way, try a little more shot than powder, then a little less. Try 2F and 3F and see what works best.

In other words, spend the day at the range or in the back yard.

:results:

I would like to know if I load bismuth shot the same as I would lead shot, i.e. same volume of black powder. Any tips would be appreciated.

The loading procedure would also be the same, using the same wads and cards...

Thanks for the input, guys.....I'm new to both the smoothbore and flintlock thing. I do plan on patterning both lead and bismuth loads this summer in preparing for fall. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back