• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loading ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I have recently started using the Circle fly .025 thickness overshot wads for when I am shooting shot and I have been loving the performance. Is there any reason I could not use these to load ball? Maybe 2 on top of powder and 2 on top of the ball?

I do not believe there is anything to gain by using it with a ball. These are thin at 0.025. Over the powder they will just fire form to the ball and this will bring the card away from the walls of the barrel and not seal anything while the ball goes down the barrel. Same in front of the ball, just wraps around it as it goes down.

If you are looking to just hold the powder and/or ball in place leading up to firing it, It'll do the job of holding your powder and ball in place, BUT, you will end up with an air gap around the back of the ball as it will not be fully seated on the powder. There will be some that say this is insignificant, and others that will warn of the potential hazards of not having the ball fully seated.

No experience with these wads on particular. I’ve noted people clip the edge os wads, seat them and then run the ball down. This way air passes around the wad through the powder and out the vent as your driving ball home
I shoot tow or hemp wads mostly that won’t make an air tight seal as a card

No experience with these wads on particular. I’ve noted people clip the edge os wads, seat them and then run the ball down. This way air passes around the wad through the powder and out the vent as your driving ball home
I shoot tow or hemp wads mostly that won’t make an air tight seal as a card
Ya Ive found I have always need to cut a slit in them or else loading becomes difficult

Back