• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loading a Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Chambers Kentucky .54 cal. Pistol. Went to the range to shoot and really love it. The issue I have is not having enough hands to load it. I don’t want to put it in a stand for fear of breaking the stock why pushing the ball home. Soooo, I feel like I need 3 hands to handle everything for loading. How do you handle loading????

This! I couldn’t imagine a range session of repeated loading without it, just plain too easy and convenient. If it starts to take excessive force to load from fouling, it’s time to run a wet patch or two down her, which for me is about every 5-10 shots. At no time has it ever felt like I was going to break the stock. I would say there’s less risk of damage by using a stand to load, you have way more control. I caveat all this by saying this is a newb’s observation, lol
F203A529-A7BF-4C88-97CE-5C7D5D4AE6BD.jpeg

Breaking a stock can happen using a stand. Have seen it.

Nice stand, they come in handy.

It isn't a single excessive force loading that tends to break a stock. It is a slow process where the wood has a micro crack in it that forms and slowly it gets bigger inside of the wood as one loads with stock stress each time. Then one day you go to load it and you barely put any umph to it at all and it suddenly snaps like balsa wood.

Ask me how I know.... ;)

There are dozens of YouTube videos showing people loading pistols by holding it in one hand and loading with the other. That’s how I do mine. I can’t imagine why you need three hands.

A pointer to help load a pistol is to get one of those palm saver balls that screws onto your ramrod or make a separate loading rod with one of those balls or a T-handle. Don’t use a ball/patch combo that is excessively tight. It’s just not necessary in my experience.

I recently purchased a Chambers Kentucky .54 cal. Pistol. Went to the range to shoot and really love it. The issue I have is not having enough hands to load it. I don’t want to put it in a stand for fear of breaking the stock why pushing the ball home. Soooo, I feel like I need 3 hands to handle everything for loading. How do you handle loading????

NRA /NMLRA match shooters are required by the rules to load in a stand. Those that are most worried about breaking a stock reinforce their stocks with thick pins or screws drilled from under the breach tail and or furniture. Same issue and solution for long guns. Another common solution seen on the line is a custom base to fully support the pistol...c

I never even thought about this. I don't have a stand and don't have any particular problem loading my pistol. I already have patch and ball laid out, then I fill the powder measure, pick up the pistol and hold it upright by the barrel with my left hand. dump the powder and set the patch and ball over the muzzle while holding it in place with my left thumb. Right hand uses ball starter then short range rod and done.

Not that I can't see where a stand could be useful for storing the pistol muzzle up between shots. I know at the shoots hosted by my club they require muzzle up at all times till on the firing line. I've only seen rifles being shot there but assume that same rule would apply to pistols.

Use the stand to clean and to hold the pistol between shots. Use the stand to hold the pistol to load your powder charge and to place the patch and ball on the muzzle. THEN pick up the pistol by the barrel and seat the ball. You shouldn't have to hammer a ball when loading.

ADK Bigfoot

This^. Although I have loaded my Plains Pistol from the pouch. The hook on the pistol comes in handy then for hanging the pistol off the belt while I measure powder. Balls and patches were in a bullet-board and I had a combo short-starter/pistol rod from TOW that comes in handy. I recently shortened the TOW pistol rod as it was about 3” longer than I needed for my longest barreled pistol. I cut the rod off the ball, cut off an additional 2 1/2”, carefully drilled the ball out, and glued the rod back in with JB Weld. I like having stuff just right and not a lot longer than necessary hanging around.

The events I've been at you had to load from a stand. Yes, if you whack it hard and the grain through the wrist isn't good- could break the stock. I've never found an easy way to do it. I went with a thinner, easier to load patch.

Back