• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading a 36 caliber Colt revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the offer, heelerau, but we have a Felt Sales here in Adelaide. Cost me $12 for a piece slightly under 300mm. square, 6.5mm thick (this was what they call "second grade"). I'm still experimenting with the rifle (if I can sort out the patching hopefully I won't need wads for it) and I'm looking forward to trying the pills in the revolver, which means I shouldn't need felt for it either.

At least, that's the theory.....

Do you mean a felt wad on top the powder column and than a patched ball? I'll have to try it as I never have but it makes sense. Mike D.

Yep, that's it. Being new to all this, I've been doing a lot of reading on all sorts of things relating to shooting these wee beasties. Particularly because I am new, I don't have any constraints on me due to old habits or people saying things have to be done a particular way. My patches are showing signs of "blow-by", but if I use thicker material they get very hard to push down!! So after reading about wads, I thought "I wonder if....".

I really can't see any disadvantages to using them (other than it's another step in the loading process), although if anyone has valid reasons for not doing it I'm happy to listen. Oh, I think you'll need at least 1/4" wads though, as ramming a thin one down a long barrel is likely to make it slip sideways in the bore.

One thing that members of the Black Powder club that I joined have told me is that in this game ALL rifles are unique, and it takes time to figure out what each rifle needs to shoot well (ball size, patch size, type of lube, whether it needs a wet patch or a dry one, powder type and load..... :doh: ). So far I've gone through nearly a kilo (2.2 lbs) of powder and I'm still trying to work it out.

But it's fun :grin: .

I will thumb the tight wad in, than start the patched ball and push them home together. Be pretty hard for it to turn sideways then I would think. MD

Somehow, I think this topic got sidetracked.

The .36 Colt revolver doesn't use patched balls.

Whether they "need" felt pads between the powder and ball or not is a matter of opinion.

I've used them in my Colt revolvers (as well as my Remingtons) but honestly couldn't tell the difference in fouling or accuracy.

I think I posted this in another thread, but here goes...

Though it would not be my first choice, I have used 15 grains of Triple X FF in my Navy .36 with no problems. It is a mild load and a lot of fun. Why use Triple X FF? - only because I use that in one of my long arms, so it reduces the amount of stuff I need to carry. Not recommending it, but just saying that it is fine to use in the absence of more preferred powders.

I have been experimenting with paper cartridges but am yet to get that perfect. The cartridges are working fine, but not completely burning up. So after about 20 rounds (only 5 per chamber assuming the 6th is left empty)I have too much paper left in place. That is a work in progress and a lot to fun too.

TS12 said:
Though it would not be my first choice, I have used 15 grains of Triple X FF in my Navy .36...

I just noticed that I referred to Triple X when I meant Triple Seven. Stupid me. My post made no sense because of my senior moment.

Back