• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loaded BP Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question. How long have you left your BP Revolver loaded?

One time I left one loaded with tight caps and bore butter sealing the front of the cylinder for six months before I wanted to shoot it. Kind of was an experiment in seeing how well it all would hold up. All five fired just fine. I left one chamber unloaded. I can’t remember the revolver it was but there was no way to comfortably keep a hammer down in between nipples and I wasn’t going to cock a loaded revolver in my house and guide the hammer down to rest on a nipple.

Only other thing I remember was it also being a lesson in how dry bore butter gets and now I rarely use the stuff unless I need a patch lube, which is already rare as it is.

One time I left one loaded with tight caps and bore butter sealing the front of the cylinder for six months before I wanted to shoot it. Kind of was an experiment in seeing how well it all would hold up. All five fired just fine. I left one chamber unloaded. I can’t remember the revolver it was but there was no way to comfortably keep a hammer down in between nipples and I wasn’t going to cock a loaded revolver in my house and guide the hammer down to rest on a nipple.

Only other thing I remember was it also being a lesson in how dry bore butter gets and now I rarely use the stuff unless I need a patch lube, which is already rare as it is.
First off I use Triple 7 which really shouldn't make any difference. With my Traditions 1858 I could load all six chambers since there is a place between chambers to lower the hammer.

First off I use Triple 7 which really shouldn't make any difference. With my Traditions 1858 I could load all six chambers since there is a place between chambers to lower the hammer.

I think at the time I was using GOEX exclusively. I think I had an 1858 but it was some old Pietta or ASM if so. I just remember I couldn’t safely have all the chambers loaded on that gun so I left one unloaded for the test. Triple 7 shouldn’t become unstable or draw moisture if the caps are tight and at minimum you get a good lead ring when you load the chambers.

At the time I used bore butter to seal chambers to protect against chain firing so that’s how I set it up. Like I said, after about six months the bore butter got fairly hard and dried out being exposed to the open. Still fired, no chain fires, no rust in the chambers.

I think at the time I was using GOEX exclusively. I think I had an 1858 but it was some old Pietta or ASM if so. I just remember I couldn’t safely have all the chambers loaded on that gun so I left one unloaded for the test. Triple 7 shouldn’t become unstable or draw moisture if the caps are tight and at minimum you get a good lead ring when you load the chambers.

At the time I used bore butter to seal chambers to protect against chain firing so that’s how I set it up. Like I said, after about six months the bore butter got fairly hard and dried out being exposed to the open. Still fired, no chain fires, no rust in the chambers.
Well I plan on using 30gr T7 FFF, dry over powder wad and a .452 RB and then a little of my beeswax/olive oil mix over ball

Two you tubers I watch said one had a rifle in the safe for 4 years and it fired. Another said his six shooter stays loaded for a month at a time.

Question. How long have you left your BP Revolver loaded?

Mine stays loaded. And always fires. Never had an issue, have brought it in and out of the house at -20 degrees and had the metal dripping with condensation, hot and humid summer time weather, you name it...

Just make sure its clean before you load it, unless you like growing crystals...

None of the talk about black powder longevity would necessarily hold true for the substitutes. They might last for a long time too, but maybe not. Still, I would think they would stay fresh for at least 10 or 20 years, but who knows.

Yes Lee's gun was fired 7 years after his death but it could have been loaded years before his death. The chamber ends had been filled with sealing wax- not sure about the caps on the nipples. All six chambers fired. Also, note all six chambers had been loaded, not five. In another event, at Andrew Jackson's home, behind the Hermitage Mansion, is a small log cabin Jackson lived in before building the big house. About 30 years ago someone found a flintlock pistol up in the rafters, took it out into the yard, pointed at the ground and pulled the trigger and it fired.
I am told that the cordite type powder used in the British army (.303) could solidify with the passage of years and possibly cause problems- the point being, nothing wrong with black powder.

I have a brass frame 1858 Remington (think its a Pietta). I load it in October before deer season. Many years I never fire it until spring and never had a problem with ignition. It usually hangs in my unheated shop all season long. So long as it was dry and clean before you loaded it, I don't think theirs much of an issue with things.

I have had BP revolvers loaded for up to a year using an unlubed wad and wrapped in a sealed plastic bag with a couple of small desiccant bags to prevent any possible moisture to the revolver. Always shot perfectly with no misfires every time.

This was still loaded in the 30's. Every shot fired.
Navy Colt 181xxx (7).JPG

Back