• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Load Data for my Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyliecoyote

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I just recently pulled my father's cannon out of storage. I grew up as a child with my father shooting it for all of our holidays at the lake. I was fortunate that he instilled over twenty years of handloading and muzzleloading experience with me during our time together. He passed fifteen years ago. Our cannon mysteriously disappeared during my highschool years(shocker) and I just ran across it while helping mom. Anyway, I have a daughter of my own now and would love to shoot it at the lake over spring break. My father and I used to make foil charges, but I have been unable to find any load data that we used. The bore diameter is 1.062 inches with a depth of 18 inches. Any help or input would be appreciated. I will try and attach a picture. Have a great Sunday! M

806edbbc.jpg

My cannon.

Matt Switlik has written a wonderful book on cannon shooting called the More Complete Cannoneer. The book as a small chapter on shooting small cannons including a load chart,

Currently the book is out of print. A new addition is due out this summer. Check Switlik's website for publication date.

In the interim Matt has granted me permission to post the chart on the internet.

orig.jpg

The error on the chart indicating 480 grains = 1 oz. is known and is a typo, and will be corrected in the new addition. 437 grains equal 1 oz.

The chart is for a recommended charge and not a maximum charge.

The recommendation is for Fg and a ball taped to a sabot.

Thank you for the load chart reply and all of the PM's. As an avid handloader and muzzleloader I am very fond of the written word. The more data and boring charts the better. I will try some trials this weekend and hopefully tip off at the lake next week for spring break. I will post some pictures. Thanks again! M

I have almost the same cannon and I usually go with about 160 to 180 grains of 2F packed down under a newspaper wad.

Makes quite a BOOM!

The amount of noise is truly dependent on how much paper you use and how hard it is packed --- this influence is about as much as the amount of powder charge.

I'd start at 140-150 grains and some wads of newspaper and see if you want a bit more noise! I have never shot mine with over 220 grains.

Notwithstanding those are not maximum loads, that chart indicates a MUCH lighter load than they show here:
http://www.americanartillery.org/aaa/marty.html

Ten Basic Safety Regulations

Powder charges should not exceed 2 oz. of Fg or 3 oz. FFA or Cannon Grade Goex powder per inch of bore diameter. No excessive charges. Use black powder only.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is correct because the loads recommended by AAA are for full size bores 2 inch or greater.

charcoal said:
Notwithstanding those are not maximum loads, that chart indicates a MUCH lighter load than they show here:
http://www.americanartillery.org/aaa/marty.html

Ten Basic Safety Regulations

Powder charges should not exceed 2 oz. of Fg or 3 oz. FFA or Cannon Grade Goex powder per inch of bore diameter. No excessive charges. Use black powder only.

I understand that here are cannons, and then there are Cannons, and then there are CANNONS. To make a statement of NTE 2 oz of powder per inch of bore diameter is pretty sweeping and general. When I was a National Park Service ranger, one of my parks had 15" Rodmans. Two oz. times 15" is a maximum charge of 1 pound, 14 ounces. That might nudge the ball, but probably wouldn't force it out of the muzzle.
We also had 24 pounders and 32 pounders, but we never fired projectiles from any of our guns.

Of course nobody is going to field a 15" Rodman, but somebody at some time will fire a big piece and I hope they find good information and use it to prevent a tragedy. Training+research+thinking(squared)=safety.

BTW, you just can't pat a Rodman, look at that maw of a muzzle, and NOT grin yourself silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those loads are also similar to the recommendation of the North South Skirmish Association for Live fire.

They are not full service or war loads which are substantially heavier.

Back