• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Load data for 45 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyblackpowder

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello folks
I would like have some good load data that people shoots with .
I started with 445 ball with .010 cotton light grease at 45 grains of 1 1/2 fg Swiss . Any information would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks kybp.

I like to start at a given weight charge, say 45gr by volume, do 5 shots, put up a new target, increase by 5gr by volume do 5 more shots. I’ll usually go up to 70 gr or so. I measure the groups to see what charge my gun likes, that’s the weight I focus on, try different patch thickness, pre lubed vs spit lubed patches etc. We call it a ladder test, but it’s just good old load development. I experiment with .440 and .445 round ball also, one rifle prefers one over the other and vica versa. I really enjoy this process. I have a new to me TC Cherokee in 45 that I’m gonna get going on as soon as the air clears out here. I’m in northern Ca and haven’t shot in 3 weeks due to the Smokey skies from all these fires around us.

Forgot to mention I’m using fffg, for most 45 shooting. My cva Mountain rifle shoots a little better with ffg. Goex and Schuetzen are the powders I have on hand.

Good load for what, shooting paper at 15 yards or deer at 65. A good load for mine is 25-30 grains of FFG. takes the heads from small game out to 30 yards, 47 grains is a great all around woods carry-target load but 65 grs is better when deer are in season.

I have two 45 rifles. Both are slow twist 1/60 ish. Neither will shoot well with that slow twist until I feed them at least 70 gr of 3F Goex. Light loads just will not shoot well in mine.

Hello folks
I started with 445 ball with .010 cotton light grease at 45 grains of 1 1/2 fg Swiss . Any information would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks kybp.
Lets get a little bit more information.

What rifle are you shooting?

For what purpose?

Expected range?

New or used rifle?

I would use the Swiss 3fg grade black powder.

Hello folks
Thanks kybp.
The rifle is southern mountain
Barrel is green mountain 42x 7/8 I don’t the twist. Shooting right now is just target shooting light loads but I going shoot some goex 2 and 3 f today a see if it like it. I just need something go by . Of a ideal what maybe a 45 cal likes. It’s my 1st 45cal . I normally shoot 32 or a 20ga .

I have a 45 caliber rifle, short barrel 24", with a 1/66 twist.
It seems to like 60 grains of 3f Swiss. 440 ball and a .010" patch. I recently bought some Oxyoke cotton patches .015 to try to tighten up my groups some.
Right now I manage about 2 inch groups at 50 yards.

I have a 45 caliber rifle with a 1 in 56" twist. I have found good loads in the 75 grains (volume) of 3fg GOEX, 0.017" cotton drill patches cut at the muzzle, WSO and water lubrication and a 0.445" ball. Your best results may vary.

The slow twist rifling of 1 in 66" for your Green Mountain barrel will normally perform better with a larger powder charge in the 65 to 75 grain range. Often a very light charge for targets in the 20 to30 grain range can also be found. The Green Mountain rifle barrel probably has grooves of 0.010" depth or greater. @Kyblackpower, your 0.010" thick patch will likely be too thin to prevent gas blow by on firing. Check your patches and look for sign of shredding or burns from the gas blow by. The result is a loss of accuracy on target. I would recommend a patch of at least 0.015" pillow ticking or 0.017" cotton drill cloth. A light grease patch lubricant is good for hunting, but a grease lubrication may also produce a crust ring at the breech when shooting three or more shots. A suggested patch lubrication of 1 part water soluble oil (Ballistol) and 7 parts of water is good for target practice. The crust ring will still build up, but will be softer. Black powder in the granulation range of 3fg is a good choice for a 45 caliber rifle.

Get Dutch's guide and go through the steps.
For new shooters it's the best way I have found to find the best load and obtain the best accuracy.
For old and experienced shooters - it's still a great way to find the best load and obtain the best accuracy.
EVERY gun out there is going to perform best with a good load workup, and no 2 guns will be identical.

60 grains of Goex 3F, .015 Oxyoke and .440 ball. I get 2” at 50 yards with my
Kibler SMR.

Hello folks
Thanks kybp.
I have recently tried a 45 grain load of Goex 3F , .445 ball and .018 patch that seemed to work quite well but my best load is with a 65 grain charge , all else the same. It fouls faster but does do better in the wind and shoots flatter.

I try some of y’all’s data today . It help a lot but now I have a problem pulling off now . I haven’t shot anything for couple of years . I think I found the load for my gun . It’s 70grain with .015 pillow ticking at 25 yds . Thanks to everyone for information. Kybp

For my 1/48 deer rifle I use .440 ball, fourteen thousands patch, leather over powder wad, and 60 grain FFF. For my 1/66 Douglas barreled target rifle I use .445 ball, fourteen thousands patch, leather over powder wad, 40 grain FFF. But those are my rifles,you will just have to try and see what your rifle likes. I recommend the Dutch Schultz system. Change only one variable at a time.

I have a Orion barrel 35" long in a half stock plains rifle that shoots VERY well with 60 grains of 3F GOEX and a .015" -.018" thick greased patch. I use this combo for targets and hunting game.

Back