• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

load chart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
didnt know where to put this so move if necassary. i thought we had a minimum-maximum load chart in the articles-charts-links thread,am i just not finding it.

To the best of my knowledge, no such chart exists.

Each company that builds muzzleloading guns lists a maximum load for their products.
I have yet to see any company give minimum loads for their guns.

Some of the barrel making companies have given their opinions about maximum loads but I don't know where they are written.

A good reference for muzzleloading loads is the Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual.

In it you will find hundreds of different powder loads they tested along with the velocities and breech pressures they found.

You can find load charts for T/C's , Lyman Investarms and I am sure others as well. Barrel size Breech plug design and overall quality of the material and design all come into play when they set their maximum loads. They are some what on the low side but better than no information.

Geo. T.

Lymens Blackpwder ballistcs has a lot of charge-barrel leanght-velocity charts.In the first part of the book list max charges per manufacturors recomendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting that Lyman gets their guns from Investarm , but they do not agree on max loads. The Pedersoli charts do list a max and minimum load for each model.

I don't remember seeing anything like that other than a reference to Lyman's Black Powder Handbook. But your best advice is to get a copy of the owner's manual for your particular gun. Most are available online. :thumbsup:

Every manufacturer has different guns and different models with different barrel wall thickness, different breech systems, different breech thread diameters, etc. What is a good charge for one just might be dangerous in another. Thirty years ago, Dixie sold off a bunch of 50 caliber barrels, very good quality, except that they were only 7/8 ATF. Some of todays' magnum load, gotta shoot a round ball at 3,000 ft per sec, guys would have one blown to heck on the third shot. Made up a rifle for my brother out of one of those barrel. I engraved right on it, Max Load 75 grains 2fg.

Too many shooters look at caliber and rough-timate a load based solely on bore size, totally ignoring barrel wall thickness. breeching method etc.

david50 said:
didnt know where to put this so move if necassary. i thought we had a minimum-maximum load chart in the articles-charts-links thread,am i just not finding it.

I find the whole idea of a "chart" for ml loading very disturbing. Often newcomers to the ml game are thinking in a modern gun mode. Modern and ml are two different animules.
With bp there are usually reccomended starting, or minimum loads then the shooter works up from there by himself. Calibers are not perzactly what is stated, ball sizes vary, hardness varies, twist affect perfomance, and the list goes on.
Time must be spent on the bench at the range with a note pad to find what works in your rifle.
Traditional ml is not a numbers game. What works and can be used safely is what matters.

"Time must be spent on the bench at the range with a note pad to find what works in your rifle."

Well yes and no. Given twist, groove depth, dimension ACF,caliber and bore length, most gray beards can tell pretty darn close what will work before putting the gun in the car.

zimmerstutzen said:
"Time must be spent on the bench at the range with a note pad to find what works in your rifle."

Well yes and no. Given twist, groove depth, dimension ACF,caliber and bore length, most gray beards can tell pretty darn close what will work before putting the gun in the car.

Yes, agree.
And, as for those "gray beards", I are one. And, yes, I can tell pretty darn close to what will work for most ml rifle guns.
But, I decry efforts to learn the ml game by reading others advice exclusive of going out and doing it to learn for oneself. We see too much of that here.

I do agree but it serves as a guide for new shooters. It will save them time and components and maybe an eye! As many have stated there is a misconception that you can just keep pouring the powder to them without a worry in the world.

The best way to get started is with a mentor that will guide them thru the learning process. If this is not a option the manuals serve a purpose. Geo. T.

Geo T said:
The best way to get started is with a mentor that will guide them thru the learning process. If this is not a option the manuals serve a purpose. Geo. T.

You bet. The nice thing about manuals, they're familiar turf to experienced shooters who are making their first approach to muzzleloaders.

Think about this:
Without the manuals, we'd probably have even fewer new shooters joining the ranks. Is that what we really want? :idunno:

Bring on the manuals!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Geo T said:
I do agree but it serves as a guide for new shooters. It will save them time and components and maybe an eye! As many have stated there is a misconception that you can just keep pouring the powder to them without a worry in the world.

This is quite true. When I started many years ago I knew no body that could help me so I read a manual. Later on I met a group of guys that helped me improve with some tips.

Very good point. And, it makes me soften my position, but just a little. I started with mentors. Probably the best anyone could hope for in this game. We lived near Friendship and my weekends were all spent at the range when big shoots were not going on. Too many of the big and famous names to mention who helped me but they were champions all.
However, I also spent a lot of time on the bench testing loads and getting practice. I spent probably more time, actually, sitting on the ground practicing for the X-stick buffalo matches. But, I did find the best load/ball/patch/etc. combos for myself.
I still decry those who seem to want to get it all from the internet before they aim their first shot at a deer or competition target.

Latest posts

Back