• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

LMR browning question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had that problem with LMF Brown. Could it be that the "brass" area is just to thinly browned?

Never had brass streaks. Once when I carded too much between applications I got a metalic coppery hue. Could we be describing the same thing? The solutions I found (actually in the LMF lit) was to start over. Get rid of the failed browning and start from scratch.... With less carding.

Since then I've been reel leery of carding. I use a dry piece of denim for my carding now, and never had another encounter with the deadly copper.

Like Brown Bear, I've never seen brass streaks caused by LMF browning solution.

I have seen areas where it deposited a layer of copper on the steel though.

This copper plating will happen if you apply more than one wet coat over the top of another coat before it dries.
An example of this is when one is applying the solution, if they overlap the area they just did in an attempt to make sure they have covered everything, sometimes you can get away with it and other times the dreaded copper will appear.

If it does happen, the copper will protect the steel under it so there is no way of browning that spot without sanding all of the copper off first.

The moral of the story is, if you miss a place, don't worry about it. You will cover it during the next application.

Those streaks are caused from too much solution, and too much rubbing.
Lightly dampen each flat with one sweep from end to end. Don't go back over it.
Card and repeat as necessary till desired finish is acquired.

And make sure to wear (rubber) gloves. You don't want the oil from your hands contaminating the metal to keep the solution away from it.

I'm sure were talking about the same thing. Good tips about not trying to go over it to wet spots you didn't get in the first pass. I have done that but gotten away with it without the stripes until this time. Must be difference in the steel alloy.
I've done a lot of barrels with it successfully but one I did recently showed up with these stripes in a couple of places that I called brass color out in the bright sun light but copper color would also describe it.
I'll bead blast it off and try again! Thanks for the replies.
What do you folks use for the LMF solution applicator? I've been using wire handled cotton swabs for applying windshield primer.

That's why you're getting the streaks. Take a 2" square piece of cotton cloth, fold it twice to be a 1" square. Dampen it with the solution, and take one swipe from muzzle to breech, repeat as needed.
There's as much in that swab to do the whole barrel, a couple of times.

That's what I use. I use denum for patch material (washed once and dried) I just use a small swatch of that. 2x square is about right. One pass per flat.

Good post gent's! In the near future, my plan is to brown the barrel, lock. and all furniture for my current build. This is good information to know!!

In addition, the nay way to get controlled, consistent results, is to use a sweat box.

Back