• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Llyman great plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got one a few days ago. Haven't fired it yet. Waiting on a cleaning kit to arrive. But I do know that I like just about everything I see on that ML. The only thing that I do not like is the bottom corner of the butt stock has a very sharp edge to it. And that's the only thing I do not like about it, so far anyway.

They are suppose to be very good round ball shooters, thus the reason I have been wanting one for so long.
.54 Lyman Great Plains ML.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got one a few days ago. Haven't fired it yet. Waiting on a cleaning kit to arrive. But I do know that I like just about everything I see on that ML. The only thing that I do not like is the bottom corner of the butt stock has a very sharp edge to it. And that's the only thing I do not like about it, so far anyway.

They are suppose to be very good round ball shooters, thus the reason I have been wanting one for so long.View attachment 191200
Yeah that butt plate toe is nasty. I filed mine down but still am not a fan if the crescent shaped butt on Hawken and southern rifle styles. They beat you up if you don’t get them perfectly mounted on the upper bicep which I forget to do.

I pick up a used .50 cal in late summer. Barrel had some roughness that was shredding patches. I have a good load worked up now! Really like the GPR!! It was my hunting gun this year! I have 2 does down by it!
I say go for it!!

The Lyman GPR is my top choice for affordable muzzle loading rifles. The styling, and over all quality is hard to beat. Of the ones I have built from kits and a couple of factory guns that have been in my shop there are three things I generally do to make them a bit better. The wood can be reshaped a bit and stained to look more like American walnut. The set triggers get some light stone ing to sharpen the edges and the adjusting screw replaced with a longer one. Of coarse a fellow can do nothing to them and be happy but I like to tinker.
IMG_1292 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I've got a chance to get a Great plains 54 cal. Excellent condition. I don't deer hunt anymore but sure like shooting. Never had a 54 always was 32,,36,,50. And a couple 62 smoothies I built.Think I can get this 54 for a real good price,, trade actually
We ain't gettin any younger and we're a long time dead. I say go for it.

The Lyman GPR is my top choice for affordable muzzle loading rifles. The styling, and over all quality is hard to beat. Of the ones I have built from kits and a couple of factory guns that have been in my shop there are three things I generally do to make them a bit better. The wood can be reshaped a bit and stained to look more like American walnut. The set triggers get some light stone ing to sharpen the edges and the adjusting screw replaced with a longer one. Of coarse a fellow can do nothing to them and be happy but I like to tinker.
Nice.

Yeah that butt plate toe is nasty. I filed mine down but still am not a fan if the crescent shaped butt on Hawken and southern rifle styles. They beat you up if you don’t get them perfectly mounted on the upper bicep which I forget to do.

Understood. Haven't had the opportunity to fire mine yet so we shall see on the crescent shaped butt stock, in terms of a big bore ML. I have, however, been firing my .32 Crocket Squirrel Rifle the last couple of days. I have found that those crescent shaped stocks require a more precise location on the shoulder. Nothing difficult, just a little more getting use to. As to the sharpness of the butt plate at the bottom.......I'm not sure what could be done to change that in any appreciable fashion. If all else fails, I would reckon it could be a good self defense weapon to use against those herds of trained attack elk and deer when they swarm a hunter in mass.

Last edited:
Agree! Nice job on the staining. Again, if these were available in the 1840's, they'd fly off the racks at the local trading post!

Back