• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Live fire with "reenactor " nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fired 20 balls through my Pedersoli 1816 Percussion conversion today, with the factory supplied "reenactor " nipple.

I had no problems, no misfires. Accuracy was good.

People say not to live fire with this nipple?

I may still try a Treso or TotW nipple but if the factory nipple works 100% why mess with it?

Seems to me that the cone would be the same? I didn't know there were "re-enactor only" cones... I suppose the interior geometry might be a bit different somehow? The musket cap is pretty hot, so I suppose it'll touch off the powder if it reaches it...

The reenactor nipple has a huge hole, vs the smaller hole in stuff like Treso nipples.

The idea being that blanks are harder to ignite I guess, I never fired blanks yet through a musket so I don't know.

I would guess in the original period that the hole in a nipple wasnt an exact science like it is now.

I had actually intended to use a 1/4×28 Thompson Center Musket cap nipple since I thought Pedersoli used the same thread , but apparently the 1816 Conversion uses some other thread pitch.

I think Pedersoli uses a 5/8x20 thread on the musket cone? I know some others are metric... Lodgewood http://www.lodgewood.com/ or S&S in New York should have what you need.

I get my original thread cones for the Model 1842 from S&S. Excellent service. Believe it or not, there was some nutty geometry that went into the interior design even then! Sounds like you are doing OK with the one you've got.

I confess I've only ever fired blanks from a flintlock, not from a caplock.

While you "can" live fire with a reenactor cone, point is, the reenactor cone has a large bore to make sure the charge goes off. That means it builds less pressure in the chamber and that is detrimental to accuracy. The average reenactor could care less about live fire accuracy so it isn't a factor to them.

It turns out that the thread pitch is 5/16x24 on the 1816 Percussion, the same as original. Nice touch by Pedersoli.

My next order from TotW I'll have to get a stainless nipple.

Back