• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little Primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I use 4F as a primer powder so I need to carry a primer. I've got a brass one but after seeing Wick's powder measure I figured I'd try making a small primer for deer hunting. I wanted something real small that would only need to hold enough 4F for a day's hunting. This is my first attempt on any type of horn. I was amazed how tough antler is.

It is made out of an antler tip, and the plug is also antler. I ain't no Wick :surrender: LOL but I think it will work OK.

GUNACCUTRAMENTS004.jpg

GUNACCUTRAMENTS011.jpg

Thats nice...does the back come loose to fill it??? I've been lookin to do something similar

highlander

Very creative!

I like antler primers as well but they're a little more modern looking with 3grn plunger/dispenser tips

That is a unique piece! I like that you used antler for the plug as well.

Steve

I like it alot and I agree that is all you'll need for a day's hunt. I think you may be onto something,can you tell us a little more about the construction? :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I can't claim to have a tried and true technique as I just kind of "winged" it. But here's how I went about it. I picked a piece of antler that had a comfortable curve to it and I cut it to what seemed like a good length to hold enough powder.

I have a vice for my drill press and I put it in the vice at the proper orientation to allow me to drill as far as possible with a 1/4 inch bit. Then I enlarged the hole closest to the wide end for about 2 inches deep to a little over 5/16 inch dia.

Then I flipped it over and drilled the small hole down into the tip and it actually intersected the other hole without coming through the side!

My plan was to run the leather cord through the antler and plug and then I could pull out the cord to remove the plug for filling. But, as I handled it more and more I realized that I could fill it pretty easily from the little end with a little paper funnel. So I just epoxied the wood plug in place.

My other plan was to use wood for the stopper but I realized that the smaller portion of it would be too weak. By this point I had discovered that this antler stuff is really tough material. Not brittle like I thought it would be. So I cut the tip off another antler and shaped it into the stopper.

I cut the grooves in it with files. Starting on each line with a 3 corner file to get things started and then switching to a rat tail for the grooves. I didn't go very deep because due to the diameter of the hole inside I was scared of filing through into the cavity. I then sanded it down to clean things up.

To stain it I used my Feibings leather stain. I could tell it wasn't soaking in real well so I just wrapped it with a paper towel soaked with dye and left it for a few hours. I let it dry overnight and then waxed it with paste wax.

That's pretty much it I think.

Thanks again guys for the kind words of encouragement! Highlander, I just went out and filled it. It holds right at 50 grains (volume) of 4f powder. Should be plenty.

Thanks again.

Ken

great looking work... i'm going to filch your design and make one for myself.

thanks for the post!

make good smoke!

Ken, Great job on your Day Primer! I have made a few of these out of horn over the years and something you might think about to add to this one or the next, is drilling a tiny hole in the stem of your plug and epoxy a wire in place and you have a dandy and handy concealed vent pick! You might want to use brass, copper or other non-sparking wire!

Also, I can't tell from the photo, but you might want to taper the stopper stem slightly, so it is tight and won't fall out!

Rick

Thanks for the tips Rick. There is a slight taper to the plug but I think I'll put more on the next one. It is a nice tight fit as it is but it feels when you stick the stopper on like the hole and the little part (stem) of the stopper aren't quite the same shape so it kind of lightly snaps into posistion and stays nicely stuck in place. Pure luck on that outcome! More taper would be a safer approach for sure.

I love the idea of a vent pick being worked into the little fella too. I'm going to stew on that a bit and see what I can come up with.

Thanks everyone else for all the encouragement! :hatsoff:

Back