Quantcast

Lining material for 1700s greatcoat?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Gus, it’s starting to look like a coat. Sewing by hand takes a lot of time on thick fabrics. It now has arms! I put in a linen lining. The coat weighs about 5 pounds as it is. This is my first hand sewing project beyond a couple shirts and more complicated. I’m learning a lot.

kje54

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Gus, it’s starting to look like a coat. Sewing by hand takes a lot of time on thick fabrics. It now has arms! I put in a linen lining. The coat weighs about 5 pounds as it is. This is my first hand sewing project beyond a couple shirts and more complicated. I’m learning a lot.
Way back I used to sew by hand now I use a sewing machine except where the tread can be seen, mostly....... I'm of the school that if it can't be seen, who cares. Takes a eighth of the time.

BillinOregon

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Rich, you did a bang-up job for sure. Congratulations, and take pride in it.
I have read and re-read Beth's "Tidings" several times. It is a must-have. Last I heard, she was still with us but in poor health.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Rich, you did a bang-up job for sure. Congratulations, and take pride in it.
I have read and re-read Beth's "Tidings" several times. It is a must-have. Last I heard, she was still with us but in poor health.
Thanks. I hate to hear that Beth is in poor health. She has contributed a good deal to living history.

Flintlock

40 Cal
Reaction score
I would line it with a light wool broadcloth, these were meant to be worn in foul weather and linen or cotton might actually rob heat from you, extra layer of wool might keep you dryer as well.

Latest posts