• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Liner in a damascus barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the problems of fitting a liner in a damascus barrel is that it is difficult to disguise the fact as the join shows up at the muzzle. The late, great, gun engraver Lynton McKenzie told me how to do an almost undetectable job (when he did it it was undetectable, even under a strong glass).

So I decided to have a go.
Picture won't come up Back later!!

I've got an old family .12ga Colt SxS break action damascus shotgun made back in the 1880's...external hammers but for shotgun shells with primers...surprisingly excellent condition for its age...barrels are solid, cleaned up the bores with barrel hones, both locks are like new, and it shoots great.

I don't want to permanently alter it with a liner but at one time thought about having Briley make a set of .410" or .28ga tube inserts for it so there would never be a worry about the damascus barrels.

However, in the end, it would still be a "modern" gun...not a muzzleloader...and the few times I get out after squirrels I prefer to do it with a Flintlock, so it just sits.

DSC01256-1.jpg

The setup in my 'Hercus' lathe using my homemade steady.
DSC01257.jpg

The damascus partly turned over the liner
DSC01258.jpg

Turnover finished all that remains is the cleanup

Looks good to these inexperienced eyes.

Also, I thougth there would be a visible external barrel twist pattern in the Damascus barrel

Lots of time it is barely or not visible til you do something to the barrel bring out the twist. You can sometimes polish one & not see any twists at all, put a little browning, bluing, or etching solution on it & BAM ! there is is..........

Let me see if I have it right. You installed a liner, recessed it, then rolled the damascus edge over the liner?

Looks good.

Tinker2

Back