• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

like to identify an percussion shotgun made in jodhpur india

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPQR70AD

45 Cal.
Reaction score
003.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
it is a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. the markings on it are
Year 1973 New light Artworks Jodhpur
not nitro---89 gr (BP my add) 1 1/4 oz
English material superior quality ML gun
the gun is in real good shape shot skeet with it hand thrown) broke 20 in a row. just like to know if any body heard of it or has any info on it
003.JPG
001.JPG

Last edited:
when I googled the shotgun I saw your post of it on American long rifles forum. I used it as a shotgun where I put the powder in then got a plastic shot wad for reloading filled it with shot rammed it down then took another plastic wad cut off the flaps and rammed it home to keep the shot from rolling out. it worked great I broke 20 hand thrown skeet in a row. then I ordered the 1 ounce 12 gauge Lee mold for a slug which has a drive key cast some but have not fired it yet not really having much faith in a smoothbore firing projectiles. I am now thinking of trying it with the slugs

View attachment 23819 View attachment 23820 View attachment 23822 it is a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. the markings on it are
Year 1973 New light Artworks Jodhpur
not nitro---89 gr (BP my add) 1 1/4 oz
English material superior quality ML gun
the gun is in real good shape shot skeet with it hand thrown) broke 20 in a row. just like to know if any body heard of it or has any info on it
View attachment 23819 View attachment 23820
Pretty cool shotgun! Thanks for posting. I've never heard of one either; wish I'd been more attentive back in the '70's when Green River, etc., were in business.

I have one too. I've heard a lot of people talking a lot of trash about any gun made in India, but my experience is limited to this one gun, and I personally really like it. It does well with birdshot, #4 buckshot, 00 buckshot, and .690" PRB. So I'm a fan, but don't be surprised if some look down on it.

I have one also, I think it is a real quality shotgun. Only bad thing is it is a little heavy for walking in the woods all day.

These double guns where exported but also served the Indian market since in the 70s more muzzle loaders where on offer than Breach loaders the liscence was seemingly easier to get and the versatility of the ML was in its favour plus cartridges ran 3 R/- each if local produce , up to 8 R/- (Rupees) for Eley Kynock imported . The latter preffered if bought to repel Dacoits (Bandits) or Large game loaded with LG large grape most every gun shop had a sign showing bled to death Tigers & offering Eley Cartridges & Webley & Scott or Greeners .Though few actually had these imports . The only two brands of India made shotguns I recall was ' Meetab ' & 'Rualex ' The best of rifled offering was got up ex Lee Enfields sporterized by the Indian ordnance factories taken out to 318 WR Exelerated Express (Since no Gov't calibers could be sold privately ). They where pretty tacky but high demand items . The worst rifles I saw where hideously got up obsoleates like 71 88 Mausers bushed to take the 318 with the muzzle swaged down to a ' Paradox' like hope Also hoping the customer didn't notice the welded up saw cuts along the barrel . I remarked" Surely these would be unsafe ?" They replied "Indian Cartridges not so strong !" However I've rather strayed from the ML topic . I never considered the modern BLs I was after old UK ones.
The India market doubles where about 8 pounds but that was 1970s I took out a English double shotgun ex flintlock side plug conversion thinking they could make me doubles as flint or caplock offerings .but the Red tape got it siezed in Bombay airport but I recovered it going out via Palum . Some minion had hauled me up to the big chief over my antigues but he was the same high up who Ide dealt with coming in he had a brother worked in Chesterfield . We'de got on before so he tells the oik not to worry and I got away with it .' Indistan See the fun! ' as they put it ." Youth was cheap wherefore we sold it"' ," Gold was good we'd hoped to hold it .And today we know the fullness of our gains " From Kipling's ' Christmas in India' seems fitting .Rudyard

Back