• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lighting awls. AKA crooked awls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying B

.54 cal
Reaction score
These are some lighting awls I made a few years ago for a museum. I was supplied with a original awl to use as a pattern. Its the one on the far right. They measure 2.75" long
Just wanted to share what the real lighting awls looked like . .These are forged from 1084 . Hardened and tempered

44355465_2777459602271608_340534247364231168_n.jpg

Last edited:
Never heard of them also looks a bit dangerous to use - are they used like a gimlet? Other than that, they look nice. ;)

Never heard of them also looks a bit dangerous to use - are they used like a gimlet? Other than that, they look nice. ;)
I believe one of the points ends gets stuck in something, dried corn Cobb or piece of soft wood, or wood with a pithy center,,, forwrong handle.

I could be wrong of course.

Used a lot for poking holes in bark when making containers and canoes. I have a few in my trade display and lots of folks have never seen them before. Having the squared shank keeps the handle from twisting when in use.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back