• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Light loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadDart

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading here about some folks shooting light loads, I decided to try some in my .40. It was a beautiful day here today, so I got everything out and set up the shooting bench. The rifle I built earlier this year, .40 caliber, 42" straight 7/8" Rice barrel, large Siler percussion with a Davis double set trigger, it was built for 25 yard off hand matches. When doing the initial load testing, I started at 40 grains and worked up to 65 grains, 55 grains shot the best.

Today I shot 25, 30, 35 and 55 grains, should've shot 55 again but ran out of time. I was pleasantly surprised how well it shot with light loads. The targets are repurposed .22 rimfire targets.

IMG_6950.jpg
IMG_6949.jpg
IMG_6951.jpg
IMG_6953.jpg
IMG_6952.jpg

That's pretty impressive shooting! I shot my 40 cal today for the first time and used 35 grains at about 28 yards and it shot great. I will try 25 grains tomorrow, then 30.

Since I do not hunt I shoot small loads in my rifles at least 75% - 80% of the time. They're easy on powder, noise and are very accurate. And the smaller calibers get fired the most.

That's pretty impressive shooting! I shot my 40 cal today for the first time and used 35 grains at about 28 yards and it shot great. I will try 25 grains tomorrow, then 30.
I tried 20 grains but the groups were a little too wide for my taste, so I went to 25 grains and played around with ball size and patch thickness, and settled on 25 grains of 3F using a .395 RB with a 0.015 pillow ticking wonder lube patch. All shot at 25 yards from a rest. I'm sure someone with better eyes and a non-shaking upper body would do much better but I'm pretty happy with how the Kibler SMR 40 caliber did today. I put a small square of painters tape on the bulls eye because I couldn't see it 25 yards away.
1669329492264.png

After reading here about some folks shooting light loads, I decided to try some in my .40. It was a beautiful day here today, so I got everything out and set up the shooting bench. The rifle I built earlier this year, .40 caliber, 42" straight 7/8" Rice barrel, large Siler percussion with a Davis double set trigger, it was built for 25 yard off hand matches. When doing the initial load testing, I started at 40 grains and worked up to 65 grains, 55 grains shot the best.

Today I shot 25, 30, 35 and 55 grains, should've shot 55 again but ran out of time. I was pleasantly surprised how well it shot with light loads. The targets are repurposed .22 rimfire targets.

View attachment 177786View attachment 177787View attachment 177788View attachment 177789View attachment 177790
That's good shooting and good load development technique.

It's also a perfect illustration of "accuracy nodes". Long barrel arms are particularly susceptible to the effect. What happens is ALL gun barrels vibrate on ignition. Recoil coupled with the frequency of that vibration are big factors in determining accuracy. Think of it as a motion in the Y axis (up and down) with the optimum point of impact being Y=0 (point of aim is adjustable, point of impact is VITAL). What you're seeing is 25g 3f (with the other factors) yielding the barrel being at the null part (Y=0) of the vibration frequency as the ball is exiting the barrel meaning a great group and excellent accuracy when the point of aim is taken into account.

View attachment 177786View attachment 177787View attachment 177788View attachment 177789View attachment 177790

30 to 35 grains of 3f gives great groups in my .45.

Back