• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lewis & Clark - Corps of Discovery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! I've read the nearly decade-long journal entries of Samuel Pepys (pronounced "peeps") who wrote in an abbreviated Elizabethan style of English, & it took a bit of effort to become accustomed to his writing style. However, it was worth the effort. I may not have agreed with everything Pepys did or with his sense of values, but his journalling provided a wealth of information & insight into 17th century England.

From what I could gather, Ambrose & staff did extensive research into the Corps of Discovery Expedition. His "Undaunted Courage," after all, reads much like a textbook. I didn't expect to be entertained when I began reading it, but it truly was entertaining in numerous sections of its chapters.

Your entry serves as a much-needed admonishment to avert becoming embroiled in personalities when the main thrust is in learning historical data. Good timing!

I have read the journals from end to end. I have read Ambrose. I have watched Burns. They each serve a fine purpose in learning about this expedition. I have also read Devoto's "Course of Empire", whose last chapters deal with this period. His writing style is "period" and can be difficult. I have just finished Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, and they are hard to digest. But are you looking for perspective(s) on the period you are studying, or a reflection of your own? The student reads the texts and extracts relevant information; you don't read them to subjectively critique the writing style of the author. Shakespeare's English is foreign to us, but gives us a glimpse of history in his style. What are you

The Journals of Patrick Gass, Member of Lewis and Clark Expedition by Carol Lynn MacGregor.

The Journals Of Lewis and Clark by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark.

Both worth while.

I am reading an article in a magazine about the Revolutionary War and started to ponder about all the American Loyalists at war's end, and their fate, did they stay? did some move to England? where they treated like traitors and brought to trial? does anyone truly know? P.S. finished the book Undaunted Courage and while some of it was exciting and made me feel like I was there, other parts were like taking a sleeping pill, and he was wrong about the Harpers Ferry 1803 like many other historians, so I gave it a Dick Clark 75% and said it was easy to dance too!!

Wasn't Ambrose later confirmed as having stolen or plagiarized some writings or using others works for his credit? Can't remember the details but he was publicly humiliated & embarrassed. Never cared for the guy. The original journals are a wonderful read & straight from the horses mouth.
Yep. I cant remember which book he used, but to my knowledge he never released a major book after that. Pretty much his credibility (despite his previous great works) was shot.

Years ago I was headed north to Maine and I went to the library and got Ambrose's book on cassettes. I got into Pennsylvania and the 2nd. tape failed, went a little further and the next one or the 3rd. gave out. I figure that saved my life as the tapes surely would have put me to sleep on I81. Though I had read one or two of his books prior I have never gone back to him.

And a very interesting read if I might add.
The opening sequence of the Ken Burns documentary couldn't have worked out better it was a one-shot take.
It was in the fall at the Weldon springs river access, due to the cool air and warm water there was a mist hanging on the river which worked out perfectly for the shot.
Ken Burns was a very pleasant man to work with almost the opposite of Ambrose.
Checked it out on YouTube, the first part.

Back