• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lewis & Clark - Corps of Discovery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a really good book regarding this subject? Years ago I read half of 'Undaunted Courage' by Stephan Ambrose and just couldn't find it "right", somehow. I realize this is probably blasphemy to some people, but the writing just seemed to me too verbose and, well, boring. I know, I know, the man was a great historian and all, but I got the feeling he was too impressed with himself to give the subject its proper due.

Does anyone know of a really good book regarding this subject? Years ago I read half of 'Undaunted Courage' by Stephan Ambrose and just couldn't find it "right", somehow. I realize this is probably blasphemy to some people, but the writing just seemed to me too verbose and, well, boring. I know, I know, the man was a great historian and all, but I got the feeling he was too impressed with himself to give the subject its proper due.
As a former member of the St Charles "Corps of Discovery" I can assure you, Stephan Ambrose was just as you imagine he was.
We provided the boats for the filming of 'Undaunted Courage' and met Ambrose several times and found him to be extremely arrogant.

Lewis and Clarks original journals...quickly and easily found many reprints, and cheap.
And a very interesting read if I might add.
The opening sequence of the Ken Burns documentary couldn't have worked out better it was a one-shot take.
It was in the fall at the Weldon springs river access, due to the cool air and warm water there was a mist hanging on the river which worked out perfectly for the shot.
Ken Burns was a very pleasant man to work with almost the opposite of Ambrose.

As a former member of the St Charles "Corps of Discovery" I can assure you, Stephan Ambrose was just as you imagine he was.
We provided the boats for the filming of 'Undaunted Courage' and met Ambrose several times and found him to be extremely arrogant.
Interesting to have your personal experience to back up what I picked up just from reading his words! Proof positive, if ever there was........

I have tried twice to read this book. Could not get past the first 25 pages either time, put me right to sleep. Don't know if it is his writing style or what, but just could not get into it.

I have read the journals from end to end. I have read Ambrose. I have watched Burns. They each serve a fine purpose in learning about this expedition. I have also read Devoto's "Course of Empire", whose last chapters deal with this period. His writing style is "period" and can be difficult. I have just finished Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, and they are hard to digest. But are you looking for perspective(s) on the period you are studying, or a reflection of your own? The student reads the texts and extracts relevant information; you don't read them to subjectively critique the writing style of the author. Shakespeare's English is foreign to us, but gives us a glimpse of history in his style. What are you looking for?

ADK Bigfoot

Wasn't Ambrose later confirmed as having stolen or plagiarized some writings or using others works for his credit? Can't remember the details but he was publicly humiliated & embarrassed. Never cared for the guy. The original journals are a wonderful read & straight from the horses mouth.

I would agree with those who suggested the original journals. They are available in several editions. At one time, I actually had the two volume Nicholas Biddle edition, illustrated with Karl Bodmer's incomparable portraits of native people.

If you want the truth, go to the source. The language and writing style of that time was different from today, but it isn't difficult to read.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

When I was falling down a Corps of Discovery hole, I came into and read the three volume Dover Publications entitled The History of the Lewis and Clark Expedition by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark and Edited by Elliott Coues. It is a condensation of the four volume 1893 Frances Harper Edition. Like most Original or Primary sources it is slow and not to exciting reading, it is after all a compilation of their diaries, while it is not quite on the level of "on such and such a date I took a dump" sometimes it is not to far above. It can be exceedingly verbose and descriptive as things they really wanted to remember were encountered or new never before seen things. These things being said if you don't mind the wordiness of primary sources, It is well worth the read.

The journals are great and are probably an undervalued American treasure and they are all online for free!

I also enjoyed reading “Out West An American Journey” by Dayton Duncan who co-wrote several Ken Burns products

I have read the journals from end to end. I have read Ambrose. I have watched Burns. They each serve a fine purpose in learning about this expedition. I have also read Devoto's "Course of Empire", whose last chapters deal with this period. His writing style is "period" and can be difficult. I have just finished Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, and they are hard to digest. But are you looking for perspective(s) on the period you are studying, or a reflection of your own? The student reads the texts and extracts relevant information; you don't read them to subjectively critique the writing style of the author. Shakespeare's English is foreign to us, but gives us a glimpse of history in his style. What are you looking for?

ADK Bigfoot
Bigfoot, well said. I don't really think a person is serious about the search for knowledge when they attack arguably the best authority on this subject over his personality and or writing style.
I read Undaunted Courage the year it was printed. It was not an 'easy' read but I was not expecting a comic book either.
John

I have no reference material I can suggest concerning the Corps of Discovery that hasn't already been suggested. There is some material on Zebulon Pike's excursion into the Colorado territory, how and why he and his group were arrested by the Spanish who were actually looking for the Corps of Discovery. They had been tipped off by General James Willkinson who was a spy for Spain.

I would consider myself a Lewis and Clark fanatic. I have read “Undaunted Courage”. For me, it dragged in the beginning, then I couldn’t put it down. I’ve read most of the journals. The old English and non standardized spelling make you “sound it out”, but they are good. Two other books I have that you may like are “Lewis and Clark on the Trail of Discorvery, The Journey that shaped America”, by Rod Gregg and ”On the Trail of Lewis and Clark Yesterday and Today”, by Bill Yenne. The first reads like an 8th grade text book. The second one has some brilliant photography and tells the whole story pretty well, including modern National Park photos and maps. Your mileage may vary. I found both of them 17 years ago in my local Barnes and Noble.

Back