• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Let's Talk About The R E Davis Late Ketland Lock. Great? OK? Junk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Let me hear your opinions of the RE Davis Late Ketland lock.

It's 95 bucks cheaper than a Chambers Classic Ketland and it's available for purchase. Unlike the Chambers.

It's going on a Kentuckyish pistol with a one inch round breech.

Greatest thing since the invention of the bacon buffet?

Not great but serviceable and saving 95 bucks is nice?

RE Davis is reserved for your worst enemy and people who think the Traditions Kentucky rifle looks like an American Long Rifle?

Ready.....GO!

I’m interested in the responses. I would like to build a pistol from scratch but it seems like pistol size locks are much more scarce than ones for larger long guns

Let me hear your opinions of the RE Davis Late Ketland lock.

It's 95 bucks cheaper than a Chambers Classic Ketland and it's available for purchase. Unlike the Chambers.

It's going on a Kentuckyish pistol with a one inch round breech.

Greatest thing since the invention of the bacon buffet?

Not great but serviceable and saving 95 bucks is nice?

RE Davis is reserved for your worst enemy and people who think the Traditions Kentucky rifle looks like an American Long Rifle?

Ready.....GO!
No dog in this fight, not opinion on the matter.
But,,,,,, I love the way you phrased all that,,, especially the last option.
😉😆😆😆

It shares internals with some other models of theirs. One odd feature is that the sear arm is fairly high above the bottom of the lockplate compared to originals and most locks available now. I made a new sear to fix this last time I had one of their locks. I got the lock I was working on, to where I wanted it and it was a snappy sparker.

It shares internals with some other models of theirs. One odd feature is that the sear arm is fairly high above the bottom of the lockplate compared to originals and most locks available now. I made a new sear to fix this last time I had one of their locks. I got the lock I was working on, to where I wanted it and it was a snappy sparker.
Thank you, Sir.

Does their sear bar remain in the same position at full rest, half cock and full cock.

Makes for a much better trigger if it does.

Thank you, Sir.

Does their sear bar remain in the same position at full rest, half cock and full cock.

Makes for a much better trigger if it does.
Hahaha. I agree 100%. This depends on careful positioning of the half and full cock notches and their depth. Most locks are fairly close, but my RE Davis Contract Rifle lock held sear positions at half and full cock that were off a smidge and a half, more or less.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with Davis locks. Once dropped a Davis lock on a carpeted concrete floor. Called Davis' , and they insisted I send the errant dropped lock back , they put a new sear and tumbler , no charge , and sent it back to me , OK. Good folks.

Never had a problem with Davis locks. Once dropped a Davis lock on a carpeted concrete floor. Called Davis' , and they insisted I send the errant dropped lock back , they put a new sear and tumbler , no charge , and sent it back to me , OK. Good folks.
Thank you.

Thank you to those who set my mind at ease.

R E Davis Ketland on the way.

I'll take some measurements and put up some pics when she gets here so folks can compare it to other lock brands.

I'm sure other folks have similar questions so please feel free to keep the thread going.

I like Davis locks much better than L&R. I do go through them and polish surfaces though.
In the 70's I used to get kit locks from Bud Siler and then build them. I actually have a few
of them left, they were good locks.
As long as the plates are straight, the parts are the correct hardness and the geometry
is correct just about any lock will work well.
Barry '

I have two rifles that have Davis locks . Both have been heavily used over the years and the locks have preformed flawlessly . I would not hesitate to go with a Davis lock again .

Latest posts

Back