• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lets Talk About Poldark on PBS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Black Adder, Black Adder, with many a cunning plan / Black Adder, Black Adder, you horrid little man!"
Another classic series - or four classic series, as it were. For this time of year, try Black Adder's Christmas Carol, if you haven't already.

Dodger lives in BC, so he's not 'over there, he's UP there.

Yes, we get 'Outlander' over here in yUK, but I have way too much else to do to watch TV.

Just a point, Blackadder is one word - it's not common, but it is a name you'll find in the phone book. My 2i/c was really called Edmund Blackadder. No relation, of course, but he was never short of conversation at the time that the original Blackadder series was shown.

tac

I have it and will make sure we watch it. As for Black Adder being Blackadder, that depends...

The first series was Black Adder -- the protagonist, or antagonist, but the main character for sure NAMED himself "The Black Adder." Although he had no children that I know of somehow the Blackadder FAMILY was born.

More on this elsewhwere...

"In the very first episode, Edmund proclaims himself "the Black Adder", implying that he's first in the dynasty.

If that's the case, why is Robin Hood (who was around long before the Wars of the Roses) familiar with a Lord Blackadder in Blackadder Goes Back and Forth? There's also the Roman Blackaddicus. Let's say Edmund was naming himself, most likely unawares, after his slimy predecessors.
I think it's Blackadder: Back & Forth instead, which has a lot of plotholes anyway. It's an unplanned plothole, plain and simple. Perhaps they retconned it. If we want to do Wild Mass Guessing, perhaps the the original Baldrick knew of his master's Blackadder roots and leaped to the chance when the latter christened himself a Black Vegetable.
Prince Edmund could've just been really bad at history.

Don't know whether it's canon, but the script book Blackadder: The Whole Damn Dynasty traces the family from the prehistoric era to World War I, which would imply that Prince Edmund is far from the first.

There is a fan theory suggesting that Dougal Mac Angus' father is descended from the Mac Adder clan, linking Prince Edmund to the Blackadder line via his illegitimate parentage. Maybe Edmund's true parentage was more widely known than he thought, leading to Baldrick's suggestion?
Edmund doesn't initially proclaim himself The Black Adder: his first attempt is The Black Vegetable. It is Baldrick who then makes the alternative suggestion. Perhaps he was aware of Edmund's ancestry even if Edmund himself wasn't.

If one really wishes to give a Watsonian explanation we could argue that messing with time-travelling resulted in alternate histories where the Blackadder family appeared before the main series continuity."

Well, he IS very silly, sometimes, sorta -- the show is anyway. But Black Adder didn't register on "mum's" radar. I have a rather older sister who was a big fan early on though, and my interest in period history made these required watching after, many I presume anyway, they were first aired. I have even recently traded my VCR series up for them on DVD! LOL

Alden said:
Well, he IS very silly, sometimes, sorta -- the show is anyway. But Black Adder didn't register on "mum's" radar. I have a rather older sister who was a big fan early on though, and my interest in period history made these required watching after, many I presume anyway, they were first aired. I have even recently traded my VCR series up for them on DVD! LOL

By the way ,I asked my mother if she had watched the new Poldark tv series . She replied that she had seen the original back in the 70's and therefore didn't see the need to watch the new one.
So there you have it !

tac said:
My 2i/c was really called Edmund Blackadder. No relation, of course, but he was never short of conversation at the time that the original Blackadder series was shown.

tac

Priceless ! Absolutely priceless .
I bet the lads loved that .

dodger said:
By the way ,I asked my mother if she had watched the new Poldark tv series . She replied that she had seen the original back in the 70's and therefore didn't see the need to watch the new one.
So there you have it !

There were only two seasons for the 70's version and it looks as if there's going to be a third season.

There is more to the series than an 18th century soap opera. The author, Winston Graham, delved into the class distinctions and the overall plight of the working class that was tied to the tin and copper mines of Cornwall. We get to see into the difficulties of British life as the system recovered from our war of independence.

Oh well, I watched the first series, watched the second series, and I found the first book of the 12 volumes series and I am reading that now. Well written book by the way.

You'll find the books pretty good reads. I'm on the fifth now.

The other really interesting aspect is the effects of the French Revolution on British society. They were plenty afraid of the changes being wrought over there, and the different reactions are interesting to see.

Back