• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

LET'S START WITH YOUR UNDIES...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I once knew a someone who wore Real Tree Camo, Insulated Leather Boots, Thermal Fleece Underwear, Gortex & Thinsulate Parkas, Wool/Polyester Socks, Hand Warmers, Thick Flannel Shirts and Arctic Shield Gloves.
This guy loved to hunt deer. He would pack a lunch and stay in the field from dawn to dusk; never once going inside to warm up no matter what the weather. I would never ever mention on here the kind of rifle he carried as there are some things you just can't talk about. Then one day he saw the light (actually it was a spark with a whole lot of smoke) and a whole new/old world opened up for him. He channeled his inner-self and discovered that he really loved the smell of black powder, wet buckskins, hunting frocks and necklaces with coyote teeth and glass beads. Damn, he was a changed man. Now that he has found his true self, and wants to be as period correct as he can be (even though he has only been doing BP for the last 2 years), he's asked me to find out what the men wore in the 1800s to stay warm and dry in winter so he can continue to hunt by himself from dawn to dusk even though he has just turned 76? He told me that he's seen some PA deer hunters with all their trappings hunting with flint locks in the winter. He was really impressed. However, he wondered just how protective their period garments were, and could they hunt all day in that attire and still stay warm and dry? So starting with your home-spun cotton undies, what do you wear to survive hunting all day in the winter? Thanks for sharing.

Undies, didn’t become a big thing until the WBTS period.
He would be well severed by silk long Johns, or, as they are never seen thinsulate. Wool stockings, as thick as he can get. Sheep skin wool in moccs inside winter packs. Woolen trousers then leggings pulled on over the trousers, flannel shirt, wool flannel the best, but if your dry cotton works. Wool waist coat, wool top coat then woolen great coat ,with hood woolen knit stocking cap. Woolen half gloves and woolen mits.Then if very cold a woolen match coat.... but if it’s that cold it stay in, least you freeze under the tree.
It was five degrees F this AM and I had slept in that tent the night before, and sitting by the fire the night before
A397B628-3F7A-45F3-A569-FF1D2A9F0D16.jpeg
50FD26C3-C435-4388-B7FA-B33AD0B417BB.jpeg

You can make breeches out of onasburg cloth to wear under your breeches. Thin cotton socks covered by wool socks. Moccasins need to be greased to be sort of waterproof. Wear a greased pair to get to the hunting stand and switch to a dry pair. Wear the greased pair to venture away from the stand. And yes, since the underwear can't be seen, you can wear modern thermal underwear. There's no justification for period correct hypothermia.

I once knew a someone who wore Real Tree Camo, Insulated Leather Boots, Thermal Fleece Underwear, Gortex & Thinsulate Parkas, Wool/Polyester Socks, Hand Warmers, Thick Flannel Shirts and Arctic Shield Gloves.
This guy loved to hunt deer. He would pack a lunch and stay in the field from dawn to dusk; never once going inside to warm up no matter what the weather. I would never ever mention on here the kind of rifle he carried as there are some things you just can't talk about. Then one day he saw the light (actually it was a spark with a whole lot of smoke) and a whole new/old world opened up for him. He channeled his inner-self and discovered that he really loved the smell of black powder, wet buckskins, hunting frocks and necklaces with coyote teeth and glass beads. Damn, he was a changed man. Now that he has found his true self, and wants to be as period correct as he can be (even though he has only been doing BP for the last 2 years), he's asked me to find out what the men wore in the 1800s to stay warm and dry in winter so he can continue to hunt by himself from dawn to dusk even though he has just turned 76? He told me that he's seen some PA deer hunters with all their trappings hunting with flint locks in the winter. He was really impressed. However, he wondered just how protective their period garments were, and could they hunt all day in that attire and still stay warm and dry? So starting with your home-spun cotton undies, what do you wear to survive hunting all day in the winter? Thanks for sharing.
Sounds like an ex astronaut, probably never had to take a dump in the woods, would take an hour or more with all the clothing on, be too late maybe...just, sayn...

I can't find the reference but I remember reading about a highwayman who was found to be wearing three pairs of breeches when arrested. As previously mentioned he would have needed to think ahead - even when he only needed to empty his bladder.

For keeping warm I like wool and lots of it. Wool is light and easy to move in. Down is awesome but doesn't fit in for hunting.
The secret is layering to trap air. What a person wears depends upon their persona or what they are reenacting. Fur was very traditional, but I'm not going hunting wearing fur. Freezing to death was also traditional.
Never let cotton touch your skin, and your outer layer should be as wind proof as possible.
Keeping your head and neck warm is very important.

If you are sitting, cover up with a blanket. (very period correct)

Now that he has found his true self, and wants to be as period correct as he can be (even though he has only been doing BP for the last 2 years), he's asked me to find out what the men wore in the 1800s to stay warm and dry in winter so he can continue to hunt by himself from dawn to dusk even though he has just turned 76?

WOOL

As mentioned they didn't really wear underwear back then.
The Germans have always been fond of keeping one's lower back warm in cold weather. So have the Eastern Europeans. Here is a link that gives enough visual info to make such an item for one's self.
Kidney Warmers

I also wear knit military surplus wool leg warmers, over knee high wool stockings, and all under my trousers.

Add to that elbow length fingerless mitts, that I made from a pair of knee high wool stockings that got too many holes.

LD

Undies, didn’t become a big thing until the WBTS period.
He would be well severed by silk long Johns, or, as they are never seen thinsulate. Wool stockings, as thick as he can get. Sheep skin wool in moccs inside winter packs. Woolen trousers then leggings pulled on over the trousers, flannel shirt, wool flannel the best, but if your dry cotton works. Wool waist coat, wool top coat then woolen great coat ,with hood woolen knit stocking cap. Woolen half gloves and woolen mits.Then if very cold a woolen match coat.... but if it’s that cold it stay in, least you freeze under the tree.
It was five degrees F this AM and I had slept in that tent the night before, and sitting by the fire the night beforeView attachment 50491View attachment 50492
Wow, Tenngun, you guys look great. Silk and wool and lots of layers sounds like the way to go. Thanks

WOOL

The Germans have always been fond of keeping one's lower back warm in cold weather. So have the Eastern Europeans. Here is a link that gives enough visual info to make such an item for one's self.
Kidney Warmers

I also wear knit military surplus wool leg warmers, over knee high wool stockings, and all under my trousers.

Add to that elbow length fingerless mitts, that I made from a pair of knee high wool stockings that got too many holes.

LD
THanks L. Dave. Never knew about kidney warmers but from the link they look really good as do the military leg warmers. I'm going to get them.

You can make breeches out of onasburg cloth to wear under your breeches. Thin cotton socks covered by wool socks. Moccasins need to be greased to be sort of waterproof. Wear a greased pair to get to the hunting stand and switch to a dry pair. Wear the greased pair to venture away from the stand. And yes, since the underwear can't be seen, you can wear modern thermal underwear. There's no justification for period correct hypothermia.
I think I've seen shirts made out of onasburg. I will check it out. Thanks

Not PC or HC, but I’ve got pockets sewn into a couple of hunting coats and sweaters that hold those disposable heat bags. Around kidneys and on the back of my neck. Would require a strip search for someone other than myself to know they are there. Amazing the comfort they bring on a cold day.

Like Dave said wool and then more wool, layers to trap air keep your head covered with a wool knit cap and your feet as dry as possible and pack at least 2 pair of extra heavy wool socks, mitts, a pair of fingerless gloves for under the mitts those are also wool, and a scarf plus a wool match coat, wool leggings and waist coat , I also have a pull over heavy weight wool shirt that reaches almost to my knees with a hood, wool breeches, the only garment that I wear when cold weather hunting that is not wool is my shirt it is linen. Wool will keep you relative comfortable even wet but it gets heavy. As to under ditties they are modern, base layer and outer layer depending on the temps. As to foot wear I have a pair of sheep wool lined boot type mocs they are very warm, do not get clothing that fits tight but loose you want to trap air. Especially your feet.

Like Dave said wool and then more wool, layers to trap air keep your head covered with a wool knit cap and your feet as dry as possible and pack at least 2 pair of extra heavy wool socks, mitts, a pair of fingerless gloves for under the mitts those are also wool, and a scarf plus a wool match coat, wool leggings and waist coat , I also have a pull over heavy weight wool shirt that reaches almost to my knees with a hood, wool breeches, the only garment that I wear when cold weather hunting that is not wool is my shirt it is linen. Wool will keep you relative comfortable even wet but it gets heavy. As to under ditties they are modern, base layer and outer layer depending on the temps. As to foot wear I have a pair of sheep wool lined boot type mocs they are very warm, do not get clothing that fits tight but loose you want to trap air. Especially your feet.
Thanks Appalachian hunter. You gave me a very well founded shopping list to get. Thanks much.

WOOL

Kidney Warmers

LD
Sportsman's guide? Nope, not making that mistake again. I would advise everyone else to avoid them. Their descriptions can't be trusted and their customer service sucks. They also filter negative reviews on everything but the cheapest clearance items. I am speaking from personal experience.

Back