• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's see your Belt or Rifleman's knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite:
20181026_195836.jpg

Rich McDonald of Longknives and Leather made this Riflemans knife 10" blade for me. His wife Jeanne made the rawhide lined sheath
Howdy Lobo:
I'm just curious? Why do folks refer to these types of sheathes as "Rawhide Lined?" To me, they appear to be a leather sheath with a Rawhide "COVER"? I've tried making a Rawhide lined sheath, but Rawhide is hard as rock when it dries, and not very "user friendly" to wood handles?
Just an observation, not a criticism. The work displayed here is breath taking to say the least. I'm in awe of the craftsmanship! Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I forged this one from an old disc harrow tine, sheath and handle are from the previous year’s deer harvest. My favorite one.

Attachments

• BBCC6571-B013-45D6-876A-D6B78AE69F42.jpeg
    BBCC6571-B013-45D6-876A-D6B78AE69F42.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 85
  • D421DD93-DA10-47D4-ADEC-AD15AF21FA7C.jpeg
    D421DD93-DA10-47D4-ADEC-AD15AF21FA7C.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 88
This knife was made for me in 1976 for my Rifleman's outfit. It is a blend of five Rev. period (supposedly) riflemans knives we could find. That year was pre-computer, internet, etc. I have carried it all these years during ronny, presentation and talks I have given about the American Revolution. I have since seen nearly identical knives purported to be rev. period that are nearly identical to this one. My days of using it have come to an end. My son advises me to sell all my 'stuff' while I can or he will just put into a dumpster when that time comes. So, it may be coming up for sale soon. Breaks my heart to think about it.
riflemans knife.JPG

This knife was made for me in 1976 for my Rifleman's outfit. It is a blend of five Rev. period (supposedly) riflemans knives we could find. That year was pre-computer, internet, etc. I have carried it all these years during ronny, presentation and talks I have given about the American Revolution. I have since seen nearly identical knives purported to be rev. period that are nearly identical to this one. My days of using it have come to an end. My son advises me to sell all my 'stuff' while I can or he will just put into a dumpster when that time comes. So, it may be coming up for sale soon. Breaks my heart to think about it.
View attachment 142388

I live just northwest of ya by just a bit. Holler at me if you do decide to find new homes for stuff.

RM

This knife is one that I made. It is one of my favorites due to the sentimental value. It's made out of 1095 HC steel. Blade is approx. 8" long. Overall length is approx. 13 1/2" long. Knife has a hand poured pewter bolster. The handle is made from a deer antler that my deceased brother killed. That's why it means so much to me. I carry it proudly at rendezvous.

Attachments

• IMG_2731.JPG
    IMG_2731.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 6
Howdy Lobo:
I'm just curious? Why do folks refer to these types of sheathes as "Rawhide Lined?" To me, they appear to be a leather sheath with a Rawhide "COVER"? I've tried making a Rawhide lined sheath, but Rawhide is hard as rock when it dries, and not very "user friendly" to wood handles?
Just an observation, not a criticism. The work displayed here is breath taking to say the least. I'm in awe of the craftsmanship! Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Late reply . rawhide when wet can be molded to fit around the blade , it dries hard and proofs the sheath from being cut by the knife and acts as a spring to hold the knife in place . Over the years I have seen two sheaths where the knife came through the leather when sat on , one resulted in a seriously cut buttock and one in a carved up pickup seat .

Back