• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Let's see your Belt or Rifleman's knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG-2877.jpg

Just a few I made over the years,
the first two are made from old blades the third is forged from a found part of a coilspring.

Now that is an eye catcher! Did you make it ?
Thank you. Yes, it is one of mine. A made a few or so of that style. Some in bone, some in curly maple. I believe I made that one 10 or 12 years ago. I traded one like that for the quilled sheath. One of very few I was able to keep for myself.

This was forged for me by a friend in 1976. It is based on a blend of five images of Rev. period Riflemans knives we could find. (pre-computer days). I carried and displayed it many times at ronny and when I gave talks and presentations about the Rev. War and the Riflemans role. Interestingly, there is an image of a knife in the Encyclopedia of the Rev. War that is almost identical to mine. The blade is 11 5/8" long, an average of the five we located. Handle is stag. Blade was forged from a truck spring.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/rr329/Rifleman1776/.highres/Riflemanknife.jpg

I'm trying to decide which of these knives to make my main belt knife, with another on my shooting bag. My era of choice is French and Indian War; maybe a Frenchman living with Native Americans, or a Spaniard in same situation having somehow wound up in the NE. I don;t that that matters, but just thinking.

Pretty sure #1 is going to be the bag knife. I got this one at an antique store in Homestead, FL back in 2009.

For the belt knife I am leaning towards #s 5, 6, 13, and 14.
#6 seems like it may be the best choice, but I really like the curved ones 13 &14.

Attachments

• IMG_3267.jpg
    IMG_3267.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 204
Back when I started this game all sorts of neat stuff was put on as handles. Later I found out that most knifes came to this country with beach or tropical log wood often red.
A fine general man’s knife might have ivory.
What I got one year and was so happy with was curly maple.
However that wasn’t used in the old days.
yeaterday thumbing through ‘The Great Guns’ I noticed this.
written in the 1950s before ‘reinactorisms’ came along.
How old is it? Is it really a matched set? Can’t prove it but I thought it interesting
AD8B057F-F082-42E3-AA4D-E83B5C88641F.jpeg

New member to the forums here so late to the post, my knife is 9 3/4" long overall with a 3 1/2" handle and 6 1/4" blade belt knife, not quite the full length for a riflemans knife, but it is my favorite belt knife that I own at this time.

Forged by Alex Campbell
PXL_20210102_045230687.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210102_045205302.PORTRAIT.jpg

Latest posts

Back