• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Let's See What Your Handgun Loading Stand Looks Like

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a loading stand for both Pistol and Revolver. One of the features of the stand is that I can remove the center insert to configure the base to hold either a pistol or revolver.

Pistol Revolver Insert.JPG

The cut outs are patterned using the grip of the revolver. That's the squared off cut out. The curved cut out follows the flowing lines of the grip of my revolver. The insert is as wide as the grip. One side has a threaded brass insert for the through bolt.

Revolver Stand.JPG

On the back is the shelf for the loading rods. I have the six compartments for balls, grease and caps and other tools.

Pistol Stand.JPG

This works pretty good for loading both the pistol or the revolver.

I did have to modify it to fit in my range box.

You can see it laying on its side in the open center section.

Range Box 01.JPG

Yes, it's an old thread, but it popped up in new posts, so here's my contribution to the topic, FWIW:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...able-convertible-pistol-loading-stand.170781/
To be quite frank (and brutally honest, sorry) all the loading stands pictured above share the common deficiency of excessive force exerted on the wrist simply because the pistol is retained with the barrel, and involved ramming force, directly vertical and directed straight down into the wrist.

Not to mention I'd prefer the bore to be at least slightly directed away from me while loading. Just in case ....

Yes, they're pretty and well-made, but .........

I think the OP has the best idea wrt to accomodating the size and shape of a specific gun. One size doesn't fit all, IMO.

Last edited:
in a sanctioned match where they have that ridiculous rule that you have to face toward the spectators to load if the pistol tilts away from you it then tilts towards the spectators.

I only use a loading stand the week before a paper match and during the actual match. When I train for biathlon I load with the pistol butt in my holster faceing downrange as it should be. that being said the amount of time spent using the loading stand should not be enough to break the stock providing I use a reasonable patch ball combo. If you need a mallet to load you have other issues to iron out.

I made a loading stand for both Pistol and Revolver. One of the features of the stand is that I can remove the center insert to configure the base to hold either a pistol or revolver.

View attachment 39982
The cut outs are patterned using the grip of the revolver. That's the squared off cut out. The curved cut out follows the flowing lines of the grip of my revolver. The insert is as wide as the grip. One side has a threaded brass insert for the through bolt.

View attachment 39983
On the back is the shelf for the loading rods. I have the six compartments for balls, grease and caps and other tools.

View attachment 39984
This works pretty good for loading both the pistol or the revolver.

I did have to modify it to fit in my range box.

You can see it laying on its side in the open center section.

View attachment 39985
very smart man. thanks

If I could take a picture of mine it would be my two hands, the left and right one. I like loading as black powder firearms were designed to be loaded. I'm sure back in the day at some uppity range they used loading stands but in order to reload six (five if need be) or even one, I don't care to disassemble a revolver every time to do so and secondly, alot of my shooting is on the move, through a field, timber, along a waterway, so don't care for or would not want to put up with draggin a stand along. Even when range shooting, just use thee ol hands. Besides, I enjoy loading the old timers using the loading lever, hanging onto whatever with my hands, making do. As long as I don't have anyone intent on lifting my scalp, robbing me, or other forms of vengeance, I'm OK, if any of those previously mentioned scenarios are occurring, I have other weapons of faster and better firepower to confront with. 😀😍 Just sayin 🙂

Been into CB/BP revolvers for 30/40 years and except stands to reload loose cylinders haven't run across anyone/ANYONE that uses a stand to reload revolvers. Don't know about pistols, never done that. Of course, all the shooting I've done and those that I've hung out with over the years, has been on the fly, some plinking, some target and even self-defense. Is this use of stands something new or am I just waaaay behind the times in CB/BP shooting?

Back