• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lets see some percussion revolvers!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Pietta 1860 from Cabela’s on sale in ‘94- paid all of $99 for her. She’s the gun I got my NYS concealed carry license with. 🤣 Recently replaced the plunger with an Uberti so I can load the Kerr conicals I cast with my Eras Gone mould. (The factory plunger is for roundballs and deforms the conicals so badly that I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn if I was inside!) But with roundballs, I used to do great execution amongst the neighborhood woodchucks.
I had a Pietta Navy in .44 but sold it to a buddy who needed a pistol for walking his trapline. Regretted it immediately. The day he made his last payment, a coworker asked if I would be interested in a pistol he was selling- the Navy Arms 1860 on the bottom here. Caps won’t stay on unless I really squeeze them first, but that was my backup when I was riding with the 13th Virginia.
Jay

Attachments

• 5E1561E8-DCC2-4418-914C-EFD3220B0C59.jpeg
    5E1561E8-DCC2-4418-914C-EFD3220B0C59.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 104
I love these guns. Even though the same model shows up multiple times, each has its own character, each has an individual essence.
I can only imagine how fantastic they must have seemed coming out of the single-shot era.

Without a doubt my favorite percussion revolver. A Uberti 1861 Navy shot many times and still in beautiful condition. I completely tore her apart and cleaned her this weekend after being in storage for at least 20 years. I also installed some Slixshot nipples while I was at it.View attachment 59367
That is a beauty and the 1861 is I think the most beautiful of all Colt's revolvers. Thanks for sharing!

Another one from my collection. Crawhall was famous in the NE of England for many things -- collecting Folk Music, fishing, woodcuts, ... Major collections of hiss work in Newcastle University (UK) and UCLA / McGill Uni, CA. Look at the date pencilled in the top RH corner of the box label.

Attachments

• JFH004  1209b WEBLEY Longspur2  #674 - Crawhall - in case  LABEL.JPG
    JFH004 1209b WEBLEY Longspur2 #674 - Crawhall - in case LABEL.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 89
  • JFH004 120b WEBLEY Longspur2 #674 - Crawhall - book p45.JPG
    JFH004 120b WEBLEY Longspur2 #674 - Crawhall - book p45.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 102
  • JFH004 120b WEBLEY Longspur2 #674 - Crawhall - lid label.JPG
    JFH004 120b WEBLEY Longspur2 #674 - Crawhall - lid label.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 84
that is an odd & great looking piece all in one. thanks for posting.

Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on it. I don't get to shoot much so it shouldn't be an issue. I am new to percussion revolvers and don't know much about them. How does this revolver differ from a normal percussion revolver, outside of the obvious fact that the only way to reload is pulling the cylinder?
I’m not sure if I agree with Jim’s assessment re: the long term reliability of your gun. Shoot it a lot and get back to us in a few thousand rounds. Certainly inspect everything as you go but I wouldn’t worry about it. Uberti, pietta and others have made many thousands of these and this is the first I’ve heard of this particular “issue”... mi dos centavos.

note: @jimhallam is from the UK and these guns were/are much more popular there than here so perhaps this issue has shown up there with some regularity? I don’t know. I’d still shoot the living daylights out of it and repair as needed. Battered ratchets aren’t anything new to the SAA design.

Last edited:
I got the Pietta 1860 from Cabela’s on sale in ‘94- paid all of $99 for her. She’s the gun I got my NYS concealed carry license with. 🤣 Recently replaced the plunger with an Uberti so I can load the Kerr conicals I cast with my Eras Gone mould. (The factory plunger is for roundballs and deforms the conicals so badly that I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn if I was inside!) But with roundballs, I used to do great execution amongst the neighborhood woodchucks.
I had a Pietta Navy in .44 but sold it to a buddy who needed a pistol for walking his trapline. Regretted it immediately. The day he made his last payment, a coworker asked if I would be interested in a pistol he was selling- the Navy Arms 1860 on the bottom here. Caps won’t stay on unless I really squeeze them first, but that was my backup when I was riding with the 13th Virginia.
Jay
Depending on when it was made, the Navy Arms may be an Uberti product. To my knowledge Uberti never cataloged the Sheriffs model 1860’s. They made them only for Navy Arms in the 60’s and later, Colt. Uberti was back then sort of a stickler for historical accuracy with notable features meant to prevent the passing off of replicas as originals.

A Replica Arms 1847 Colt Walker 44, a EuroArms Rogers & Spencer 44, Lyman Remington Navy 36, Cva 1851 Colt Navy 36, ( not shown, FIE 1858 Remington 44, Lyman 1858 Remington Navy 36 ) The under hammer is a P. Bondini 45 target pistol, and a EIG Kentuky pistol 36.
View attachment 55763
I was at an auction couple years back, had lots of ML type stuff; a tool box the auctioneer hadn't even looked into had a minty R&S under the top shelf. I got it for about $275, not a real cheap bargain, but it's a great pistol now no longer made. High quality and they make an "improved" cylinder for them.

20210122_125940.jpg

Pietta New Model Army, picked it up LNIB from a guy who bought as a companion to his 5 1/2" NMA,shot it once and didn't like the extra barrel.

Pietta 1861 Navy .36, this is the gun that inspired my thread on DGW shipping, only had it out once and I think I really love the smaller caliber.

The last acquisition of 2020.... Uberti 1860 Army w/case, which makes...
Uberti 1860 Army
Palmetto Armory 1860 Army
Uberti 1847 Walker
2x Pietta Dance & Brothers
Pietta Remington New Model Army
Navy Arms 1851 Brass Navy in .44

Attachments

• DSCF1347.JPG
    DSCF1347.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 63
Interesting that it has a plain/smooth/non-engraved cylinder, which is unusual. Maybe Pietta is getting to the bottom of their parts bins to assemble revolvers during the pandemic. I am willing to bet that it has a 20 (2020) date code.

Now all you need is a part round/part octagon barrel from Pietta's Griswold & Gunnison to create a Leech & Rigdon. I beat you to it by a few years. :D

Leech & Rigdon 001.JPG

While Pietta markets the G&G it has never marketed a L&R.

Regards,

Jim

Back