• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lets see some percussion revolvers!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2881.JPG

I just have one for now but always on the lookout for more. Mine is an Uberti 1873 Cattleman Black Powder in 44 cal.
View attachment 59006
These were, as I understand, produced for those who lived in countries with a less liberal approach to "handguns" -- such as the UK where it is VERY hard to own a cartridge one.
If shot frequently they develop a problem. (Sorry for the next bit, Zonie). With a CF revolver the recoil moves the cartridge back against the recoil shield and it re-seats. With a ML the whole cylinder moves (how far? depends upon the manufacturing tolerances) so the ratchet hits the frame and it can develop burrs... so please keep an eye on it.

These were, as I understand, produced for those who lived in countries with a less liberal approach to "handguns" -- such as the UK where it is VERY hard to own a cartridge one.
If shot frequently they develop a problem. (Sorry for the next bit, Zonie). With a CF revolver the recoil moves the cartridge back against the recoil shield and it re-seats. With a ML the whole cylinder moves (how far? depends upon the manufacturing tolerances) so the ratchet hits the frame and it can develop burrs... so please keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on it. I don't get to shoot much so it shouldn't be an issue. I am new to percussion revolvers and don't know much about them. How does this revolver differ from a normal percussion revolver, outside of the obvious fact that the only way to reload is pulling the cylinder?

@10acres, your 1873 Cattleman's revolver differs from a normal revolver mostly in the access to the nipples to seat the percussion caps. In the pre-cartridge revolvers, the nipples are accessed by a cut out in the frame. Even the Ruger Old Army has the frame cut out. Most have the built in rammer. The Colt revolver has an open frame.

Take a look at the pictures in this thread and differences do become apparent.

@10acres, your 1873 Cattleman's revolver differs from a normal revolver mostly in the access to the nipples to seat the percussion caps. In the pre-cartridge revolvers, the nipples are accessed by a cut out in the frame. Even the Ruger Old Army has the frame cut out. Most have the built in rammer. The Colt revolver has an open frame.

Take a look at the pictures in this thread and differences do become apparent.

I see the cut out and the built in rammer. I guess my question is does the whole cylinder move on say the Old Army like jimhallam stated that the 1873 does? If it doesn't than what keeps it from moving? Just wondering if this could be an eventual problem on all percussion revolvers or is the problem just seen with the Uberti 1873.

Here is the first black powder firearm I have ever purchased. A Pietta/Traditions 1851 "Navy" in .44 caliber. Following Dustin's excellent video on YouTube I completely dissasembled and cleaned it over the weekend. I don't remember exactly when I purchased this revolver I think it was around 97'-98'.
1851Navy.jpg

Back