• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lets see some flintlock pistols!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current in progress it’s built using a rescued traditions rifle for the lock and 14 or so inches of barrel.

Attachments

• 0DACA2FD-E729-4748-BA75-CE15A02EC147.jpeg
    0DACA2FD-E729-4748-BA75-CE15A02EC147.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 71
WOW!! I once owned one of those. Bought it new at Cline's Sporting Goods in a Chicago suburb in 1964. Paid around $35.00 for it as I recall. Shot blanks with it in the back yard. I was 14 then. Cleaned the barrel with an old baby bottle brush and one of those surplus .50 caliber machine gun cleaning rods.
Believe the gun was marked Hy-Hunter.
I like. it is so simple.

Fly, it's a beautiful pistol. How does it shoot? I have read both good and not so good reviews of the lock and its geometry.
I bought a new one of the Harpers Ferry pistols in the early 1970's. Had consistant reliability problems with the lock. Back then, others who owned these pistols reported the same issues as myself. You would get 2-3 shots off with no problem. Then, 2-3 misfires. Then another shot off, then a misfire. Then, more knowledgeable, experienced believed there was indeed a problem with the general geometry of the lock itself. Thinking back on this now, it was as if the height of the hammer and frizzen was a slight mismatch, including the length of throw. Seemed much of the sparks produced were thrown off to the sides of the frizzen versus directed to the pan. Possibly the mainspring was designed a bit weal (?) Don't really know. Of course, Pedersoli may have corrected this problem in later years.

Rick

This is my Queen Ann
Loaded with patched .480 roundball, 30 grains of fffg. She, and a few other hand guns are strategically placed around the house. More for my peace of mind than anything else. It is actually a nice neighborhood.

I need to shoot the load she has in her, clean it and reload someday. Been loaded for the last 2 years. (hell my 1851 has been sitting in the safe loaded for 5 years. I suspect it will be fine and dandy, Grants pistol made 50 years loaded before it was shot)

Attachments

• PXL_20211215_192154754.jpg
    PXL_20211215_192154754.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 44
This is my Queen Ann .50
Loaded with patched .480 roundball, 30 grains of fffg. She, and a few other hand guns are strategically placed around the house. More for my peace of mind than anything else. It is actually a nice neighborhood.

I also have a Queen Anne .50.
I shot it once, saw the leather go flying, and never saw the flint again.
Went to my rifle, had a nice afternoon, but still had to clean 2 guns.
Learned a lot that afternoon. :doh:

the Queen Anne I got has a reworked lock that is really good

most I have heard have a lousy lock

got this one from a former forum member who went over to the dark side (got himself a 45-100 and that was the last I saw of him)

the Queen Anne I got has a reworked lock that is really good.
most I have heard have a lousy lock.
It's a great looking pistol!
With losing the flint, I don't know if it was me, the lock, or something more. I think there's something askew with my lock, but I haven't looked at it closely. It seems that the barrel is slightly out of alignment (rotated a couple of degrees). I'll look into it when I get more time. Too many irons...

20211225_1842003567403582f1b311.jpg

Bombay Blaster (replica Sea Service pistol), gift from Mrs. Blaster...still has to be vented and balls/flints ordered.

Last edited:
Back