• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Let’s see them hunting knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stykbow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just as the title says, let’s see the knife that always makes the trip hunting with you. If you have one for big game and another for small game let’s see them both. Here’s mine. It’s always with me if I’m hunting or just stomping around the woods. Wish I had a better pic handy, but that’s how it goes.
3A5E120B-4FC3-48D0-8103-2DA50E175353.jpeg

Just as the title says, let’s see the knife that always makes the trip hunting with you. If you have one for big game and another for small game let’s see them both. Here’s mine. It’s always with me if I’m hunting or just stomping around the woods. Wish I had a better pic handy, but that’s how it goes.
View attachment 100380
Ok here's a few of mine
1634807109369.jpeg

1634807149180.jpeg

1634807169280.jpeg

Here’s my “new” hunting knife that I plowed up in the garden this spring. I cleaned it up and made new handles for it. Even with all the pitting, it takes and holds a razor sharp edge. Don’t know what brand or how old it is.
9A28E1F0-9D7B-4CE2-AF66-656116CC219D.jpeg
My amateurish attempt at a sheath. It carries well. I like it.
C969B43F-94EB-4093-917F-D23897BF2AE7.jpeg
And here’s a barn knife I made from a repurposed pocket knife blade for cutting hay bale strings.
CA6F2550-7C0F-427E-B197-A11B81D619DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s my “new” hunting knife that I plowed up in the garden this spring. I cleaned it up and made new handles for it. Even with all the pitting, it takes and holds a razor sharp edge. Don’t know what brand or how old it is.View attachment 100532My amateurish attempt at a sheath. It carries well. I like it.View attachment 100533And here’s a barn knife I made from a repurposed pocket knife blade for cutting hay bale strings.View attachment 100534
Now that is just cool. Digging up an old rusty knife and making it nice and useful again. I really respect that...

Now that is just cool. Digging up an old rusty knife and making it nice and useful again. I really respect that...
Thank you. I’m only an amateur (and I mean amateur) when it comes to things like that, however I do enjoy making useable muzzleloader accouterments. They may not look the best but it’s rewarding to be able to use something hand made or repurposed.

My grandfather made this from the blade of a silage chopper somewhere in the 1930's-40's. Blade is 5 1/4". The handle is heavy leather lacing wound and then capped with a washer soldered in place. Bottom sheath is the original he made. As it deteriorated I wanted to leave it as is but no way did I trust it on my belt - so I carried it sheathed in my pack. A friend made the replacement sheath at my request.

I was 16 (a long time ago) when my Grandpa gave it to me - and then took it back five minutes later saying he'd changed his mind and that I had to buy it. In shock I asked how much, he then smiled and said 'ten cents'. He then related the old story that if you gifted someone a knife you could end up getting cut by it.

This knife has cut every deer I ever shot, plus an Alaskan caribou and a Colorado elk. Good chance it'll be with me in my pine box.
Main knife.jpg

My cousin and I were in a drop camp north of both Kotzebue Alaska and the Arctic Circle. To get away from the wind (tiny number of trees there - most limbs only grow downwind - not kidding) we pitched the tent where the ground was maybe two feet lower than surrounding area and there were some low bushes. (Also known as clotheslines.) Previous tenters had liked the spot too - and had accidentally left both sides of a caribou jaw behind. We took them home to make mementos of the trip. Bought the blades and parts from TOTW and a friend assembled them and made the sheaths. Blade is 7 1/4" Solingen steel. Yes, they're big and ostentatious - but in this case that's what we were going for. My cousin leaves his on his coffee table as a conversation piece.

All of my traditional muzzle loader deer have been percussion - I'm saving this knife until I get my first flintlock deer.
Caribou knife.jpg

bldtrailer, I've wanted to make one of those broadhead knives but was concerned that the edge wouldn't last long enough. I'm sure some are better than others would you recommend any particular brand? I think I have some old TreeSharks laying around.

Just get a high carbon broad head ( like Zwickey you can find singles at archery swap meets or flea markets )& mount to an insert
drill out antler and install an arrow insert installing with hot melt glue (that way you can heat and turn to aline the cutting edges)
I made the above to be able to gut a deer with a broad head
( just remove from an arrow ) also makes it replaceable

Back