• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let’s see them hunting knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We Brits are not to be trusted outside with sharp pointy things with fixed blades without a very very good reason . So here's a couple I made for a bear hunter friend in Canada. Stacked Birchbark handles and Buffalo horn.

Attachments

• P1020201.JPG
    P1020201.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 41
  • P1020205 (2).JPG
    P1020205 (2).JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 43
  • P1020208.JPG
    P1020208.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Here are a couple that may be of some interest. Anymore, when I leave the house The little Hidden Canyon is on my hip. In the woods it's either the little John Bradley, or the "Big Hunter", a takeoff of a Cattaraugus 225Q in BG-42 that Edmund Davidson made for me. The 'hawk and rifleman's knife were made by Jeff Cline of Kentucky. All three mentionedknife makers are avid muzzleloaders. The german Opinel knockoff is just fun.
DSCN0956.JPG

Here are some of the blades I have attached scales or handles on. The flint blades will cut with the best of them ,except for cutting hip bones.

Attachments

• 20200916_174104.jpg
    20200916_174104.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200912_083112.jpg
    20200912_083112.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200912_083038.jpg
    20200912_083038.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200912_082905.jpg
    20200912_082905.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20181201_082707.jpg
    20181201_082707.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 24
The knife I wanted most when I was a kid was a Puma White Hunter , it was too expensive so that had to go , When I was about 40 I managed to find one in a flea market , and jumped on it . I took it on my next hunt and was sorely disappointed , it was useless .
This is my most used hunting knife , out of a collection of about 40 . It was made for me in December 98 for me by Steve Wheeler , who made the knives and swords for the Lord Of The Rings and Hobbit films . The knife is 8¼" over all with the blade being 4" long . The blade shape is taken from a Roman scalpel design about 2000 years old , The handle is some red deer antler I gave him . I have used this knife to necropsy hundreds of cows , goats sheep etc and to field dress then chop up 200+ deer . In my work , carrying out necropsies ( animal Post mortems ) on animals as small as a possum to large bulls , I have come to realise a large thick blade just gets in the way when it comes to dressing out animals . in the field . This is not a fancy knife it is a working knife which fits my hand as if it was made for it , which it was .
P1020022.JPG

The knife I wanted most when I was a kid was a Puma White Hunter , it was too expensive so that had to go , When I was about 40 I managed to find one in a flea market , and jumped on it . I took it on my next hunt and was sorely disappointed , it was useless .
This is my most used hunting knife , out of a collection of about 40 . It was made for me in December 98 for me by Steve Wheeler , who made the knives and swords for the Lord Of The Rings and Hobbit films . The knife is 8¼" over all with the blade being 4" long . The blade shape is taken from a Roman scalpel design about 2000 years old , The handle is some red deer antler I gave him . I have used this knife to necropsy hundreds of cows , goats sheep etc and to field dress then chop up 200+ deer . In my work , carrying out necropsies ( animal Post mortems ) on animals as small as a possum to large bulls , I have come to realise a large thick blade just gets in the way when it comes to dressing out animals . in the field . This is not a fancy knife it is a working knife which fits my hand as if it was made for it , which it was .
View attachment 109484
Biade material?

Here are some of the blades I have attached scales or handles on. The flint blades will cut with the best of them ,except for cutting hip bones.
Let's hear it for stone knives! They will do most of the butchering jobs just as well as steel, though they get dull faster. Of course my examples are not exactly 'period correct' for this forum. Just 1000 yrs or more too early. Worse than giving Dan'l Boone an unmentionable. But I have used them on deer, bison, goat, sheep, pig. JW 3 Anasazi knives 7-21 c.JPGDSC03589 JW 2 knives Oct 2021.JPG

Back