• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

LePage Shooting Advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice or experience you guys have had with a LePage Pistol. It is a flint in 45 (allegedly) cal barrel SMOOTH BORE. Size ball, patch, and load you may have used. Thanks, M

If you wish to be successful in the smooth bore matches here is a formula top match shooters use who frequently win at the NMLRA nats. 1)...Fuzzy ball fitted without patch to bore so it slides down with just a bit of resistance...2)...Charges of 40 grs of 3f or more...3) They wear a glove on their shooting hand to deal with the recoil....I have a rifled and a smooth barrel for my Lepage flint. Shooting the rifled barrel in .36 is a pleasure. Shooting the smooth barrel with the heavy charges is no fun. Unless you are just shooting those Euro matches that require smoothbore I suggest you get it relined to rifled. My .36 rifled Flint Lepage works very well in rifled Flint matches...c

Pedersoli only makes the Le Page flint version in .44 rifled and .45 smooth. Where did you get a .36 flint barrel?

Last edited:
Pedersoli only makes the Le Page flint version in .44 rifled and .45 smooth. Where did you get a .36 flint barrel?
My match ML pistol, revolver and rifle barrels were all fitted with DeHass custom barrels. There is a guy who relines bores for match barrels currently. Mostly NSSA guns. He did a great job turning a smooth flint LePage to rifled .36 for a fellow match shooter. Don't remember his name but someone here or at the NSSA site will if you ask...c

That is very interesting. I shall try the hairy ball and try working the load up to 40 to see how it prints. I had already consider ordering a rifled barrel. I guess I will find out how hard and how much that will be. I see some folks recommending the .433 ball (which is one mold I don't have). I do have .440, .451, and .454. I really appreciate the info. M

Naked fuzzy ball will have to be larger .What size ball depends on your barrel. I have measured many Pedersoli Flint barrels made over 40+ years and some a larger than others. If owned by a serious match shooter it may have been lapped to a larger size...c

Back