• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Leman trade rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished this Leman trade rifle. I was going for something like the gun included in the Rifles of the American Indians book.
I hand painted the stripes over aqua Fortis stain to get the Leman style faux curly maple look. I used two different shades of alcohol based stain and rubbed them down a bit with a Scotch Brite pad before applying the finish. PXL_20220425_212603298.MP.jpgPXL_20220425_211514034.jpgPXL_20220425_211526651.jpgPXL_20220425_211534813.MP.jpgPXL_20220425_211635537.jpg

Very nice job with the stripes. Did you have any trouble with the stain bleeding lengthwise along the grain?
Not really, I had very little stain on the brush. And just a bit went a long way. The darker stain didn't bleed at all and I chose to rub it with a Scotch Brite pad because otherwise the lines were too solid

I just finished this Leman trade rifle. I was going for something like the gun included in the Rifles of the American Indians book.
I hand painted the stripes over aqua Fortis stain to get the Leman style faux curly maple look. I used two different shades of alcohol based stain and rubbed them down a bit with a Scotch Brite pad before applying the finish.View attachment 136245View attachment 136246View attachment 136247View attachment 136248View attachment 136249
You did good. I know that had to take a lot of time.

Good walnut is hard to find and expensive , gun makers like Beretta are using lasers to burn grain patterns onto stock wood on their less expensive guns . I like yours better and it is absolutely authentic .
Looking at records of captured / surrendered rifles. The number of Leman's used were way ahead of all the other brands in the 19th centaury Rocky Mountain Fur Trade , Read "Guns of the Western Indian War by R Stephen Dorsey "

Thanks for showing the great work on the Leman. I'm working on one myself and enjoyed your post.

Back