• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Leman style flintlock rifle. Built by Gene Moss, 1996, Green River Barrel 54 cal. Curly Maple stock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ Muzzleloaders

Dave Puvogel
Reaction score
Barrel stamped Green River and verified by one of the GRRW barrel makers as likely one of his barrels. 1 1/16" x 32". 7 lands and grooves. If anyone has information on Gene Moss, I would appreciate it. Curly maple stock, not faux striping like many original Lemans. Siler lock. $1750 plus $50 shipping. Paypal friends and family, personal check (shipped after cleared), money order.

Attachments

• #47 Green River Leman.JPG
    #47 Green River Leman.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_8672.JPG
    IMG_8672.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_8666.JPG
    IMG_8666.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_8667.JPG
    IMG_8667.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_8668.JPG
    IMG_8668.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_8669.JPG
    IMG_8669.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_8670.JPG
    IMG_8670.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_8671.JPG
    IMG_8671.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_8792.JPG
    IMG_8792.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_8793.JPG
    IMG_8793.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 608
I did have a response on American Long Rifles Forum. Someone did know him but was away from his contact info. Expect to hear back in the future and believe he is still alive and kicking.

Contacted the guy who has a page on the history of GRRW.

https://grrw.org/grrw-successors/
The company went bankrupt in late 70s. Green River Barrel Co. took over some of their operation in 1980. They seem to have disappeared in early 90s. The 1996 date on your rifle post dates GRRW and its successors. The GREEN RIVER is stamped with individual letters, as opposed to a stamp like GRRW. Not sure this is not a rifle built by someone trying to pass off as a GRRW gun.

Still a pretty rifle, but probably not what it is trying to be. Hope this helps some. Always loved Leman style rifles.

Last year at the Rocky Mountain National Rendezvous, I met the barrel maker from GRRW. He verified that it very well could be one of his barrels. Green River sold barrels but did not mark the barrels that did not go into their factory made guns. The stamp on the barrel is indeed not the factory stamp, but done by the builder. By coincidence, I finally reached the builder yesterday. He verified it as a Green River barrel and personally knows several of the Green River employees. You are correct, it is not a GRRW rifle, but a GRRW barrel as my ad states.

Maybe your rifle was professionally built from one of the GRRW kits?

I didn't know that they did not mark the barrels that did not go in the factory guns, and I wonder now if they marked the barrels in their kits. I do know the brass Leman-style butt plates from GRRW had cast-in markings as shown, and the trigger guards had the little "tombstone" logo without the GRRW lettering. I bought a set of Leman parts (butt plate, trigger guard, trigger, and trigger plate) from them in about 1976. They were lost for about 30 years, after a move. I found them, but then sold them last year.

Phil Meek would be the man to ask for details.

In any event, you have a nice rifle, regardless of who assembled the parts. Good luck with your sale.

Notchy Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back