• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Leman Squirrel rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treestalker said:
Does anyone have pictures of an original or good copy Leman half or full stock squirrel rifle? Did he make them in heavy barrels? Thanks, George.

I saw a Leman full stock in the Ford Museum that was around .36 caliber with a barrel with that was at easily one inch.

treestalker,

Here is a picture of my Leman squirrel rifle. It's presently a half stock, but I believe it was originally a full stock that has been cut back. The barrel was probably shortened about four inches during the conversion.

IMG_4075_low_res.jpg

It is a .36 caliber. The barrel is presently 31-7/8" long and 7/8" across the flats, straight octagon.

Here is the Leman squirrel rifle next to one of Jack Brooks .54 caliber Leman Indian rifles. The squirrel rifle is dimensionally the same as its big brother, except for the barrel and forearm.

IMG_4065_n_4075.jpg

I have a friend with a Leman .31 caliber squirrel rifle that is similar to mine except it's a full stock and has a longer barrel. IIRC the barrel diameter is the same as mine.

treestalker said:
Did he make them in heavy barrels? Thanks, George.
Considering the hundreds of thousands guns his company made, I'm sure some squirrel rifles were made with heavy barrels. He made all kinds of rifles.

I have one, I made earlier this year.
It is American walnut,.58 cal, one inch barrel, 35" long and flint lock.
Our squirrels here in Eastern Ontario, Canada are rather big and knarly.
I would gladly post a picture if I wasn't so dense headed. ( too much squirrel meat! :hmm:)
Fred

treestalker said:
...good copy Leman half or full stock squirrel rifle?

Here's one built for me this year by Ron Paull through the GRRW CA. It's 45 caliber, barrel is 7/8", weight around 7.5 or 8#, though I've never weighed it. Ron has rubbings from several original Lemans he's owned, and he used those for the engraving. Dandy rifle!

Nice looking gun!!
Ron built my two guns for grrw ca as well,a trapper pistol tp-01 and a full stock .58 cal hawken h02 he does beautiful work. He is building my first Fowler for me in about a year from now.

Smokey Plainsman said:
BUETS.

Look very similar to the CVAs or Traditions.

:rotf:

Well.... Got CVA and Traditions somewhere in my gun safe, and any resemblance is more a case of the modern guns aspiring to older styles. Probably my bad photography that creates any illusion, but the resemblance stops about right there.

"Awful' is a state of mine...get what you like and enjoy it every time you make smoke! :thumbsup:

Smokey Plainsman said:
TVM makes a Leman. I kind of want one, but everyone tells me how awful percussion guns are and that I should get a flinter.
That's absolutely ridiculous!

There are a lot of excellent percussion guns out there and they are accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

When I'm just "farting around" I shoot my flintlocks. When I'm doing some serious target shooting, I use my percussion guns. (I have more than a few of both.)

The Leman style of rifle most people think of was made during the percussion era and it is a good representation of a Lancaster stocked rifle.

Don't let the flintlock folks fool you with their obvious bias towards their guns.

I am glad someone finally said, that caps guns OK. I own both also, but prefer percussion. Of course, I like newer stuff!

Michael

I prefer percussions as well. I think they look more streamlined and I've never had a bad day with mine yet. Just have been reading so many flint people and they tend to push flints as the best and truest choice.

My early mentors both are flint only guys and they always complained when I started to out shoot with them with my cap gun. So, I switched to a flint and beat them with that too, they stopped being bothered by which gun I shot.

Michael

Brown Bear or anybody?What is GRRW CA?Does Ron Paul build on hid own or thru a company?Contact info or website? Thanks.

Back