• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Legal Question Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would help if you finished your profile and we knew where you are. You may be close enough for a fellow member to come pick up your box of balls at $?? and get a bit of free powder in the process...
I have often wondered about that too. I'm a member of more than one forum and it happens elsewhere too.Half the members don't show where they are from. Either they are reluctant to name their home town/state or don't know how to add it to the profile. I'd guess the latter because no one can be that ashamed of their home state.

I have no knowledge of the USPS, but I'd bet you couldn't get this sent in today's post-911 era. Maybe the fellow should go to his nearest shooting/gun club and offer it. Plus, he doesn't say how much he has, but it can't be all that hard to carefully dispose of!
Most shooting supply vendors at a gun show will buy it from you. I sold 20#s or so of smokeless when I went native. They were only interested in full cans of course. I would think you could do the same with black or replica powders.

Place all the BP inside your ex's belongings and when she moves hopefully outside of the state then call the ATF.

We group buy for our club. A case of powder only costs one hazmat fee just as a single pound of powder would if shipped individually. UPS will ship hazmat to your door. Possession of black powder in quantities greater than certain amounts requires a spark proof container, larger quantities require an approved bunker which involves considerable distance from other habitable structures.
The actual sale of a pound or two of powder between friends is not regulated. The transportation and storage is where the government becomes involved.
If you attend a large reenactment event, more than likely there will be powder vendors present with considerable amounts of powder available. I placed an order for a couple of cases of powder from a Louisiana vendor several years ago and the owner was enroute to an event with nearly a ton of powder being towed behind his truck on the highway as we spoke.
We have become so used to government regulation of firearms and ammunition that we don't even question this anymore. Black powder is not any more dangerous than many other common materials, think gasoline, solvents, household chemicals, etc.
Most of us remember when black powder could be purchased at any hardware store or general merchandise store. DOT regulations on transport and fire code regulations along with BATF regulations on storage are what changed the availability.

SmartSelect_20200306-155641_Samsung Internet.jpg

Read carefully. The phrase "engaged in the business of " is important to answer your previous questions. Not in excess of 50 pounds may be possessed without a FFL. However, other codes apply and storage of that amount in a residential location is prohibited.

Back