• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Legal powder amount

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think in the future you are going to see black power go into instinction,,up your
game...
I think in the future you are going to see everything as you know it go into instinction
Ok, both of you use the word instinction…. Not sure I understand how ‘black powder’ and ‘everything as you know it’ are providing inspiration? Assumption on my part that we are using English here on the forum.

Ok, both of you use the word instinction…. Not sure I understand how ‘black powder’ and ‘everything as you know it’ are providing inspiration? Assumption on my part that we are using English here on the forum.
Queen's English?? Or Mountain English?

I prefer cut-in-paste for them big words.🙃

While the Forum's Third Rule:

3: Posts must be in English.​
The Rule doesn't specify which regional dialect is preferred and most of us will try to interpret the intent as either entered by the posting or altered by an overzealous spell checking and correcting software program.

Now back to the topic. What is the legal powder amount one may have in possession? It depends on the local laws and sometimes whether the laws make sense or not.

While the Forum's Third Rule:

3: Posts must be in English.​
The Rule doesn't specify which regional dialect is preferred and most of us will try to interpret the intent as either entered by the posting or altered by an overzealous spell checking and correcting software program.

Now back to the topic. What is the legal powder amount one may have in possession? It depends on the local laws and sometimes whether the laws make sense or not.
The fine art of reed'n. rite'n and 'rithmitic seem to be gittin lost in today's edumucashin in the woke pubic screwls...

BUT - if you want to be racially correct - they got you covered!

What I don't like is that they cheapened the containers from
metal to plastic. Left in the hot sun on the bench the plastic deforms. If Goex wants to really sell some more powder, bring back the metal can and charge a buck or so more. Call it "Goex Classic." They are not that swift. Cheap manure wins.
I know, I know,shipping weight,non-conductive,progress
but to h-ll with progress. I want my Goex can again so I
can refill and reuse.

What I don't like is that they cheapened the containers from
metal to plastic. Left in the hot sun on the bench the plastic deforms. If Goex wants to really sell some more powder, bring back the metal can and charge a buck or so more. Call it "Goex Classic." They are not that swift. Cheap manure wins.
I know, I know,shipping weight,non-conductive,progress
but to h-ll with progress. I want my Goex can again so I
can refill and reuse.
I refill my old metal cans just because I like handling metal and detest plastic.

Because metal lasts, you would think that for advertising
reasons they would offer some cans, even empty ones.
I have some old cans to refill but don't like exposing powder
to moisture in the air. But I'll do it fast and hope.

Real men use a horn instead of a can............

...........just kidding I use a can most of the time too but I am trying to make the switch.

You can ‘identify’ as what ever you want to be. Born with a XY or XX, no mater what’s in your cells you can ‘identify’ as having the opposite, and no one can gain-say you.
Glue a horn on your forehead your now a unicorn and everyone around you is forced to accept you as a unicorn or be identified themselves as a haters
What’s that got to do with how much powder you’ve got?
Well if you have 300 lbs you can just ‘identify’ as being on the moon, and although it’s three hundred pounds on earth it’s only fifty on the moon
If you get arrested, just wear a green suit to court and ACLU will be at your side and Hollywood will be wearing Free the Moon guy
And BLM will be chanting BMLM( black and moon lives matter)
Sarcasm alert. Don’t get three hundred pounds cause Tenngun told you it was ok.

I believe that federal law allows us only 50 pounds of black powder to be stored in our homes.

Does that include substitutes? Can I have 50 pounds of bp and 30 pounds of substitutes?

Can I have more than 50 pounds of different sizes and brands? Can i have 50 pounds of FFg swiss and 50 pounds of FFFg Goex?

My only concern is how big of a hole in the ground would 50 lbs. of black powder make?

So store all you want in an outbuilding.
Letter of the Law.

wm
Not exactly true. Depends on state and local fire codes and local interpretation of them.
Also variations in defining words such as domicile, curtilage, posses, etc.
If local criminal and fire codes consider ownership and control of the powder as possession, it doesn’t matter if the powder is in a house or outbuilding. The limit is still 50 pounds max, possibly less.
Be aware thatmost fire departments fighting a fire will back off and let everything burn to the ground when cartridge ammunition, percussion caps, primers, and large amounts of flammables start cooking off.
Then there is the possibility any insurance claims will not be paid if fire codes are violated.
One has to weigh the risks vs. the benefits.
Don’t Ask / Don’t Tell is often a prudent course of action in life.

Mine's in a repurposed pantry cabinet in a converted double steel horse shelter.
100' from the house. I should be good.

wm

Last edited:
My only concern is how big of a hole in the ground would 50 lbs. of black powder make?
Black powder will not detonate unless confined in a strong container like a military ammo can, safe, or buried. Unfortunately, most people do not know this and store it in latched-down lid ammo cans. Worst possible way to store it. Should be stored so that if it ignites, the pressures can escape easily. A lightly constructed plywood box with a latchless lid is good.
The five gallon can or jug of gasoline you may have in your garage is likely more dangerous than several pounds of BP in a fire.

None unless it was buried. In a house it would blow out and up, not down in to the ground.
Even blasting rock you drill a hole but your blast removes only as deep at the hole.
Yup, when detonated explosive energy takes the Path Of Least Resistance.
Same principle that makes our rifles, Smoothbore, and pistols drive the shot Down Reange rather then push the breech upside our head or blow the barrel out.....all providing good maintenance, and proper loading. (A little prayer never hurt either)

Back