• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Legal powder amount

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But my question would be unless you're a cannoneer why in the world would you need 50lbs of powder?
Dont let them pull your leg!
None of us keep more the a couple pounds at any given time, except perhaps an occasional 'hoarder' who might have five or six pounds.
Remember, Mountain Men are also tellers of 'Tall Tales' 😉

No need to worry, no one here actually keeps 25-50 or more pound of Goex on hand - Right Everyone?!? 🙃

OK so for Federal purposes, it's 50 lbs. OF:
..., commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not exceeding 50 pounds intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or in antique devices exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4). [ATF Website]

SO NOTE:

We don't discuss home manufacture of black powder under forum rules, and apparently the exemption above would not apply to a pound of that stuff either...., much less 50 lbs. Something to think about for those who might venture to other forums and get information on home making of BP.... and YES I'd bet it obvious under a microscope what powder is manufactured and what was home-jobbed. Officially, not worth the risk, I'd say....

The Federal definition of our reproduction black powder arms is that they are also "antiques" since they are copies of antiques.... so there we're good.

LD

I've seen several claims online that California residents are limited to one pound of black powder. Which makes no sense. Since it's commonly sold in one lb. cans, anyone who wanted one powder for the barrel and another for the priming pan would become a criminal...

California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 12001 says we can possess up to five lbs.

I've seen several claims online that California residents are limited to one pound of black powder. Which makes no sense. Since it's commonly sold in one lb. cans, anyone who wanted one powder for the barrel and another for the priming pan would become a criminal...

California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 12001 says we can possess up to five lbs.
It's been two years now since I have purchased I. California;
Angels Range (Los Angeles county) stated the law was "1 pound per person". However, I would ask them for 1lb ff and 1lb ffff and they sold it to me. Next visit I purchased 1lb ff and 1lb fff and they sold it to me, and the next visit both my wife and I went in an purchased 1lb ff each and they sold it us but only my took my drivers license (they Always asked for and photo copies my license).

Now i know back in late 1990s the city of Pasadena had stated limit of "5lb per person" while a friend down near Long Beach said his limit was "10lb per person).
In North Hollywood, around 2007, I had read it was a "2lb per person limit".
It's all confusing.....but I lost all mine in a boating accident when I Escaped L.A.

You will have to take that up with the two local shops who told me the story, and after they told me I began looking as I went from store to store in search of ammo - No Powders on the shelf.
As for "No track record....", not so, just no record of them detonating any but there IS record of them being caught with "pipes" and "powder"; at least here on the left coast (and I think there was a report somewhere mid-west during a traffic stop)
As for BLM/Antifa being two different groups; yes they are. But in some areas (left coast) they do tend to intermingle. I can tell you that from the Nevada innocent when we (yes, me and 1500 other local residents) physically chased a group of BLM out of town. There was, I saw and read myself, Interner dialog going between them. That first weekend was to be the "Small test protest" with a "Main protest" the following weekend when Antifa out of Las Vegas and Arizona stated they would join in.
However, after their 'warm' reception the first weekend with 1500 (some reports said 2000) armed citizens, local militia, even Grandmas and Grandpas sitting on their porches displaying....the second week remained quiet, however the neighbors remained patrolled for the following few weeks.
However, three or four of the BLM ones did return about a month later, two shot a Sheriff in the face, both now serving time, at least one other weeks later was in the news having been arrested (forget details on that one) - I recognized their faces as having all been involved in the first incident.
Two gun shops with the same story might just mean a bogus warning got spread - like the instances last year of small towns on the west coast mobilizing to fight off busloads of Antifa or BLM that were supposedly on their way. Of course to some, the fact that the busloads never showed up just proved they'd been scared off. Reminds me of the shrink who asked a patient why he went around emitting a piercing whistle every few minutes, and he replied, "to keep the elephants away."

The shrink said, "but my good man, there are no elephants around here for hundreds of miles in any direction!" And the patient said, "yeah, I know. Works good, don't it?" :)

Last edited:
It's been two years now since I have purchased I. California;
Angels Range (Los Angeles county) stated the law was "1 pound per person". However, I would ask them for 1lb ff and 1lb ffff and they sold it to me. Next visit I purchased 1lb ff and 1lb fff and they sold it to me, and the next visit both my wife and I went in an purchased 1lb ff each and they sold it us but only my took my drivers license (they Always asked for and photo copies my license).

Now i know back in late 1990s the city of Pasadena had stated limit of "5lb per person" while a friend down near Long Beach said his limit was "10lb per person).
In North Hollywood, around 2007, I had read it was a "2lb per person limit".
It's all confusing.....but I lost all mine in a boating accident when I Escaped L.A.
I've bought at a store that would only sell one lb. of black powder per person. I was told that if I wanted to buy two, I'd have to bring a buddy. But after looking up the state law, I'm thinking either that was store policy due to an abundance of caution, or there was a stricter local ordnance.

I've bought at a store that would only sell one lb. of black powder per person. I was told that if I wanted to buy two, I'd have to bring a buddy. But after looking up the state law, I'm thinking either that was store policy due to an abundance of caution, or there was a stricter local ordnance.
California: city by city, county by county can be drastically different.
Why the range was willing to sell me 1 of each? I dont know, guess I just have a friendly face. But every time i asked One of xx and one of xxx they sold it to me but i Never asked for two of the same, didnt want to push my luck.

Also the ranger's policy was Clearly stated o line and in store "We Only Sell Black Powder For Use On OUR Range"

So, every other week I made Sure to use up ALL that I purchased last time....or lost the rest in a boating accident 😉

Federal may be 50 lbs but the Fire Marshall or Fire Codes
have limits in most States. Usually 5 lbs I think Missouri
is 1 lb. You also have rules on how to store it. It cannot
be a "contained" magazine. Just a wooden box that would not
let pressure build. Also, keep in mind that powder is tracked
and keep reasonable amounts. I shoot up 5-10 lbs a year.
So I really need 10-15 lbs to have some reserve. If you shoot
a fowling piece or double rifle etc put back a little more but
do not hoard. Check with your Fire authorities for last word.

"Check with your Fire authorities for last word."
Should be final word on All firearm, knives, weapons and supplies of any kind.
And ALWAYS be wary of those 'grey' areas. Just because an item(s) are not specified in a local law does NOT mean it is 'legal' (another off-topic example involving a certain 'knife type' in California that again; PM me if you want further information)

I believe that federal law allows us only 50 pounds of black powder to be stored in our homes.

Does that include substitutes? Can I have 50 pounds of bp and 30 pounds of substitutes?

Can I have more than 50 pounds of different sizes and brands? Can i have 50 pounds of FFg swiss and 50 pounds of FFFg Goex?
Happy guys you are, our law allows only four pounds of BP, the substitutes are banned for muzzle loaders and classified as moderns powders : only four pounds by person and the same rule for Swiss, German or French powders four pounds only allowed in France... 🤬

Happy guys you are, our law allows only four pounds of BP, the substitutes are banned for muzzle loaders and classified as moderns powders : only four pounds by person and the same rule for Swiss, German or French powders four pounds only allowed in France... 🤬
I'm sure that many of your fellow countrymen followed the rules in the 1940s. What happened?

I go through appox 25 to 30 pounds a year. Ok i shoot cannons, and try to keep 25 pounds on hand, it stays in the trailer with the toys.

I'm sure that many of your fellow countrymen followed the rules in the 1940s. What happened?
"The rules" in the 40's were laid down by the German occupying army, and the penalty for being caught with a gun was execution. I'm not sure how that's relevant to this discussion.

Last edited:
OK so for Federal purposes, it's 50 lbs. OF:
..., commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not exceeding 50 pounds intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or in antique devices exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4). [ATF Website]

SO NOTE:

We don't discuss home manufacture of black powder under forum rules, and apparently the exemption above would not apply to a pound of that stuff either...., much less 50 lbs. Something to think about for those who might venture to other forums and get information on home making of BP.... and YES I'd bet it obvious under a microscope what powder is manufactured and what was home-jobbed. Officially, not worth the risk, I'd say....

The Federal definition of our reproduction black powder arms is that they are also "antiques" since they are copies of antiques.... so there we're good.

LD
[/

Back