• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

legal muzzleloader caliber for NC squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm beginning to collect parts for a squirrel rifle for my nephew who lives in NC. I've been checking on line and have not not been able to locate any info regarding legal caliber. The rifle will be a surprise so any information you can give me would be a great help.

Thanks Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Alabama is an example of stupid rules for stupid reasons when it comes to small game calibers.

You have to use .40 and less for small game. I questioned this once and was told if hunters had a caliber more than .40 during squirrel season they would be tempted to shoot a deer out of season if one showed up.

Duh, if someone is going to shoot a deer out of season they will do it with whatever rifle or shotgun they have in their hands.

Eric Krewson said:
Alabama is an example of stupid rules for stupid reasons when it comes to small game calibers.

You have to use .40 and less for small game. I questioned this once and was told if hunters had a caliber more than .40 during squirrel season they would be tempted to shoot a deer out of season if one showed up.

Duh, if someone is going to shoot a deer out of season they will do it with whatever rifle or shotgun they have in their hands.

Agreed, South Carolina is very similar in their thinking.

While I agree that anyone who wishes to kill a deer can use whatever he/she has with them, I think the logic behind the rule goes more like this:

Someone who is out deer hunting will be using a caliber that is large enough for a sure, one shot kill.

Walking thru the woods carrying a larger bore gun and planning on shooting a deer out of season or without a permit, if he is stopped by the G&F officer he'll just say, "I was just out squirrel hunting with this.
No, I always use my .54 for squirrels. It saves having to clean them."

Now, while I know the members here are smart enough to not try to pull that trick, there are a whole lot of stupid people out there.

Eric Krewson said:

You have to use .40 and less for small game.

FWIW, they fixed this last year (or maybe it was the year before). Muzzleloaders of any caliber are now legal for small game. I'm not a good enough shot to take a squirrel with my .50, but I'm tempted to go squirrel hunting with it on a WMA that is known to harbor feral hogs (which are legal to shoot during small game season with legal small game weapons)...

-GB

Zonie said:
While I agree that anyone who wishes to kill a deer can use whatever he/she has with them, I think the logic behind the rule goes more like this:

Someone who is out deer hunting will be using a caliber that is large enough for a sure, one shot kill.

Walking thru the woods carrying a larger bore gun and planning on shooting a deer out of season or without a permit, if he is stopped by the G&F officer he'll just say, "I was just out squirrel hunting with this.

Now, while I know the members here are smart enough to not try to pull that trick, there are a whole lot of stupid people out there.

I have hunted squirrels with a 7.92 Mauser FMJ, in squirrel season, outside of deer season. Just to say I have used all my guns for hunting at least once (I don't hunt deer, so can't use one there). FMJ just passes through a squirrel with obviously no expansion so it doesn't actually tear up much more than a .22 LR.

Biggest problem is that the FMJ 7.92 Mauser round will blast straight through a 14 inch thick oak tree, so you can't be using it for shots at squirrels in trees, only on the ground.

So if the Wildlife Enforcement Officer asked, I would be perfectly truthful in saying I was using the large caliber centerfire rifle to hunt squirrels, which in NC is perfectly legal.

Good to know about Bama and small game, I looked it up and you are right.

OTHER GAME BIRDS OR ANIMALS:
ï‚· Rifles using rimfire ammunition or those operated by air.
ï‚· Muzzleloaders and black powder handguns of any caliber.
ï‚· Long bows, compound bows, or crossbows.
ï‚· Shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller, using standard No. 4 shot or
smaller.
ï‚· Handguns or pistols.
ï‚· Blowguns using darts propelled by the hunter’s breath only.
ï‚·

Zonie said:
...if he is stopped by the G&F officer he'll just say, "I was just out squirrel hunting with this.

There's an active thread with photos of a fella who did just that, took three grouse and 2 wabbits with a .54 GPR.

I have successfully taken a limit of squirrels with a .243 Winchester loaded with 75 grain HP's. A head shot is a must with that load or there would be nothing left to pick up......robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwiw, my 1st cousin has killed at least a dozen of our "small but very numerous" WT (mostly spikes & does) with his LH .40 SMR & PRB.
(Before anyone makes a comment about "a .40 caliber's not enough gun", Randy was the BEST shot that I've ever met. - Until his eyes "started going" at >62YO, he could hit a thrown quarter with the SMR, nearly every time. Even in 2016, I don't recommend anyone betting against him in a ham/turkey shoot.)

I, otoh, have collected any number of fox squirrels with my .58 "sort of a Zouave musketoon", a light load of BP & PRB. = There's little edible meat on the ribs of even a 3 pounder.
(I don't do head-shots, as I routinely put the heads in stew.)

yours, satx

Back