• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lefties

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As noted above, cast can be the issue more than lock location. I have only left hand guns due to an eye injury early in life. Have shot other peoples right hand guns (flint) but had to fight the stock somewhat as they were truly cast-off. I have only seen 2 early guns that were true left hand so we know they were made.

I am RH but lost the use of my right eye years ago. While re learning to shoot LH I rigged up a sight system to shoot RH with my left eye. It worked and was approved at Friendship. Now I shoot LH rifles exclusively. There were a number of old's time gunsmith who put cheek rests on both sides of the stock to accommodate lefties. I have one in my collection.

I am the age where it was it was just barely acceptable to be lefty, but in my dad's generation they were usually forced to be right-handed. My father-in-law could write with one hand then switch and write just as easily with the other hand. He said he was definitely a south-paw, but was forced to do everything with his right hand.

I am left eye dominant. I own 5 true lefthand rifles. My flintlocks all have cast on for a LH shooter. I wouldn't shoot anything else.

SS850183.jpg

I'm a lefty as well. I've never fired a left handed rifle of any type. The only flintlock I've shot made me think I would prefer a left handed one though.

Back in the '70's, I could not find a reasonable left handed rifle. I saved some bucks to order a custom built left handed Hawken and after sending the money, the builder never delivered. Back to square one. The Sharon rifle was brand new and costlier than most production guns. I had a gun dealer order a kit for me but it was only available as a right handed Hawken. It was nothing like the CVA kits and it took me a long time to finish since I was fairly new to the hobby and gun building. It is still my primary rifle after all these years, even though the cheek piece and lock are on the other side.
A few years ago I was able to buy a nice, used, custom built left handed flint. It is much lighter than my Hawken and I am still trying to get used to it.

Loading a right handed gun is always a bit different because we cannot use one of the Cash percussion loaders unless you use your right hand. I also cast my own lead balls and once again, the lead ladle is designed for a right handed pour as well as the blocks for casting. I manage. However, I always wished I had invested into a left handed Hawken....

When I built my L/H Early Lancaster I put Cast-On into the stock, which aligns the sights perfectly for me.
When my best friend, a righty, tried to shoot it, he had lots of trouble seeing the sights. I finally recalled have cast in the stock and told him to try shooting left handed.

He did, and it worked out fine, but he said he'd never again say a word when i complained about shooting a right hand rifle. I smiled a huge toothy grin. Revenge is a dish best served on a cold plate!!

Does anyone know how rare/common it was for a gunmaker in the 18th century to make a lefty gun?
Well you can always be a little different and shoot a right locked gun as a lefty in the correct manner! I'm not talking about shouldering it left and you ignoring the flash.
Here are a couple of stocks for left eye folks. One is elaborate and one is just heavy cast off. They ARE authentic solutions to certain shooting problems.

The top is a "bent" stock and the bottom is a "cast off" stock.

LEFT EYE CAST STOCK DRAWINGS.JPG

LEFT EYE GUN 1.JPG

LD

I am a dedicated lefty and have decided that if the gun is important enough to me historically I'll own a RH percussion gun. By that I mean guns with the lock on the right side. My Parker Hale P61 was that important. In a humorous bent if you do a lot of searching you will encounter stories of burnt right arm sleeves due to lefty shooters and the gas jet from the rh vent. Easily overcome but still a pain.

I have a LH flint Lyman. If I can afford another muzzleloader it will be a LH flintlock kit, probably a Chambers Haines lefty, because I like flinters.

Many renowned kit suppliers and custom builders produce lh contemporary guns for clients. If its good enough for them, lefties are good enough for me.

The North Star West trade gun originator built a lh trade gun patterned after an original lh TG. This is the only solid reference I know of but I've never seen anyone call Curly and Matt's research into question.

Last edited:
I'm left handed and have never owned a left handed gun. all my guns modern, percussion, and flint are right handed.They just feel right. I think its handier for priming and capping holding the gun with your shooting hand . At least that's what works for me.

I'm left handed and have never owned a left handed gun. all my guns modern, percussion, and flint are right handed.They just feel right. I think its handier for priming and capping holding the gun with your shooting hand . At least that's what works for me.

There are actually quite a few pluses in shooting a right hand gun left handed. One being the ability to see the lock when the arm is shouldered. Now some may think that a hazard or distraction, but it has its benefits as well.

I've never shot a right handed muzzleloader, and I never will. I own one factory built percussion gun, one factory built Flintlock rifle, and am on my third kit build Flintlock. All are left handed. I don't give a possums arse about their historical authenticity. I refuse to adapt when the technology is there for me to enjoy the sport the way I should with guns that fit me. I dont understand why others don't share this feeling.

I've never shot a right handed muzzleloader, and I never will. I own one factory built percussion gun, one factory built Flintlock rifle, and am on my third kit build Flintlock. All are left handed. I don't give a possums arse about their historical authenticity. I refuse to adapt when the technology is there for me to enjoy the sport the way I should with guns that fit me. I dont understand why others don't share this feeling.

I would feel exactly like you, as I'm an ol nonconformist Tennessee holler boy, but as I'm right eye dominant it was easier just to switch sides. I am ambidextrous so it was easier for me than most.... Do you Sid.

I would feel exactly like you, as I'm an ol nonconformist Tennessee holler boy, but as I'm right eye dominant it was easier just to switch sides. I am ambidextrous so it was easier for me than most.... Do you Sid.

I'm lucky in that I'm left eye dominant as well as being left handed so it's a no brainer for me to shoot lefty.

Same here Sidney but when I was poor all I could afford were right handed weapons, now I am still poor but have managed to add a lefty or two. But it really does not matter I can shoot a right handed lock either flint or percussion equally well. Seems like when you mention I am a left handed shooter the price increase dramatically. I guess it is the price we have to pay for being the odd ball out. God only made a few of us perfect the rest he made right handed.

Im ambidextrous but more comfortable shooting left handed because my dad taught me that way when i was 8 years old and it stuck. I never owned a left hand gun. Before i buy my intended rifle, T/C Hawken, can I comfortably look around the right hand lock to see clearly down the barrel and through the sights?

Any tips for the (any) challenges of such a shooter? How to adapt to the things I need to?

BTW, I have no idea which eye is dominant, i fail those tests so i dont bother anymore trying to know. Also BTW, I agree with the above comment, holding a gun with the left shooting hand promotes easy work when you have to do something on the right side of the gun where all the business is.

Latest posts

Back