• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Left handed vrs right

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem but I’m the opposite. I can’t make shooting handguns comfortable right handed. For the rifle, I stood in the shop for a few days shouldering it from the ready whenever I thought about it. Maybe 50-100 times. It started to feel natural pretty quick. With a pistol in my right hand I feel like Don Knotts in ‘Shakiest Gun In The West’.
I can shoot pistol in either hand, just better with my left. As for long arms I'm really good right handed so never saw the need to switch. I think I started out as a lefty (my mom was) but a few years of Catholic school kind of "cured" that.........
As Charles Shackleford once declared after a game, "right hand or left, it doesn't matter, I'm amphibious." :D

I was a right handed shooter from the time I was 6 years old. I am 72 now. Due to significant eye disease I am not legally blind in my right eye- 20/550.
The teransition to left handed shooting is not easy. It does not, of course matter with wingshooting. And I find it not very troublesome with combat type handgun exercise.
Rifles though can be another story. The ease with which I can use a rifle left handed seems to vary from one to the next. And, of course, working a rh bolt for a fast second shot doesn't bear watching. My long rifle, built by the Emigs is right handed but offers me a superb sight picture and easy mount left handed.

Left handed, right eye dominant here, been shooting lefty for 40 years. Just picked up a right hand fowler, with the intention of shooting it left handed. Shouldered it with my right just to see how it feels and holy manure! I can actually see the front sight clearly. Never realized how much better the vision in my right eye is. Long story short, I will be training myself to shoot right handed.

Left handed, right eye dominant here, been shooting lefty for 40 years. Just picked up a right hand fowler, with the intention of shooting it left handed. Shouldered it with my right just to see how it feels and holy manure! I can actually see the front sight clearly. Never realized how much better the vision in my right eye is. Long story short, I will be training myself to shoot right handed.
Bet ya wish you would've tried that about 40 years ago! Come to think of it, I've never even held a rifle to my right shoulder... Maybe I ought to try it too! Good luck, Justin

Nice. I just hung out in the shop for a few days practicing shouldering the gun when I switched. It didn’t take more than 50 or so shoulders to have it start feeling pretty natural.

I'm mostly right handed. I write and throw right handed. I've been shooting lefty since I was little. I am left eye dominant, and managed to figure that out before I even knew what that was. The only odd thing, is that I feel more comfortable shooting a bow right handed. Most guns I've shot have been right handed. About the only problem I've ever had was some lever actions that liked to toss brass into the bend in my elbow. I've never had anything hit me in the face, or go down my shirt. I don't know how many tens of thousands of rounds of 12 gauge I have shot through a right handed pump action, and I can't recall ever being touched by an ejected hull. My least favorite type was always a bolt action. One day a steal came up for a Savage 110L, and I really like that rifle, but I'm not at all impressed by the bolt being on the left.

I've come to the conclusion that in cartridge guns, shooting a right handed gun, left handed, is actually an advantage! The loading port is right there. Lefty's have a clear advantage to port loading guns. The one and only disadvantage I have ever found to a guns direction is the safety. That's why I really love guns like the Mossberg 500, Savage 110, and the M14. A perfectly centered safety is the ideal situation, no matter if you are right or left handed. The tiny, tucked up behind the trigger guard button like Remington often used is the worst.

As for muzzleloaders, I've only tried percussion left handed. I didn't like it, as I had to swap everything to cap it. When I chose a kit for my flintlock, I barely had to think, and stayed with a right handed. The pan is right there in front of you, if anything a right handed flintlock should be easier to handle as a left hander. The only thing I ever heard was that now the flame is closer to your face. I didn't shoot my right handed TC Renegade flintlock that much, but I couldn't tell any difference whether I was shooting it off my right or left shoulder.

By the way, for those new shooters who’ve never paid attention to such things, an easy way to find out which eye is dominant is to put your hands out in front of you at arms length, palms towards the target, overlap your fingers perpendicular to each other and cross your thumbs, making a tiny oval between the webs of both thumbs, make the hole tiny and pick a small target in the distance. Now draw your hands towards your face and the hole should track straight to your dominant eye.

I know, I know, but if even one guy learns something it was worth posting. 😏

By the way, for those new shooters who’ve never paid attention to such things, an easy way to find out which eye is dominant is to put your hands out in front of you at arms length, palms towards the target, overlap your fingers perpendicular to each other and cross your thumbs, making a tiny oval between the webs of both thumbs, make the hole tiny and pick a small target in the distance. Now draw your hands towards your face and the hole should track straight to your dominant eye.

I know, I know, but if even one guy learns something it was worth posting. 😏

I think this is one of the best test's I've seen. I always hear about the holding a finger out and closing eyes, seeing if it moves. I can do the pointing method 10 times, and get 50% of the time in each eye. I tried the small circle method you proposed on a few objects, and 9/10 times I came back to my left eye.

I'm mostly right handed. I write and throw right handed. I've been shooting lefty since I was little. I am left eye dominant, and managed to figure that out before I even knew what that was. The only odd thing, is that I feel more comfortable shooting a bow right handed. Most guns I've shot have been right handed. About the only problem I've ever had was some lever actions that liked to toss brass into the bend in my elbow. I've never had anything hit me in the face, or go down my shirt. I don't know how many tens of thousands of rounds of 12 gauge I have shot through a right handed pump action, and I can't recall ever being touched by an ejected hull. My least favorite type was always a bolt action. One day a steal came up for a Savage 110L, and I really like that rifle, but I'm not at all impressed by the bolt being on the left.

I've come to the conclusion that in cartridge guns, shooting a right handed gun, left handed, is actually an advantage! The loading port is right there. Lefty's have a clear advantage to port loading guns. The one and only disadvantage I have ever found to a guns direction is the safety. That's why I really love guns like the Mossberg 500, Savage 110, and the M14. A perfectly centered safety is the ideal situation, no matter if you are right or left handed. The tiny, tucked up behind the trigger guard button like Remington often used is the worst.

As for muzzleloaders, I've only tried percussion left handed. I didn't like it, as I had to swap everything to cap it. When I chose a kit for my flintlock, I barely had to think, and stayed with a right handed. The pan is right there in front of you, if anything a right handed flintlock should be easier to handle as a left hander. The only thing I ever heard was that now the flame is closer to your face. I didn't shoot my right handed TC Renegade flintlock that much, but I couldn't tell any difference whether I was shooting it off my right or left shoulder.
As a lefty, I had an M-1 carbine that would hit me square in the forehead with the brass.

As a lefty, I had an M-1 carbine that would hit me square in the forehead with the brass.
Remington 7400 30-06 cases hit the bill of my cap. Don't have that gun after three shots. I know its an unmentionable but i flinched each time it hit me. Not no more.

Fowler? Don't use that sight if your shooting birds.

I'm lefthand and right eyed dominant, I shoot lefthanded and never felt at a disadvantage using a righthand rifle.
I also just finished a (RH) Keibler SMR. The kit was awesome with Very little to be fitted.
Like another said if you ever try to sell, a right-handed rifle will go quicker then a lefthanded.

Attachments

• 20201114-153056.jpg
    20201114-153056.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I'm lefthanded and learned to shoot at 6 with right handed guns. I can work a RH bolt really fast due to training and practice. I was 26 before I could afford a LH rifle. I've never desired a RH gun of any type since.
My flintlocks are LH as are my modern rifles. A LH gun is just natural for a Lefthander. There! That's all one needs to know.
One of the biggest crocks I know of is a RH'ed shooter trying to convince a LH'er to shoot RH guns. Yet everytime this question is asked they seem to come out of the woodwork.

I am new to the sport and a left handed shooter. Is there a Huge advantage to a left handed gun ? I am looking for a build kit, but I can’t decided left or right because of the ignition system side..Love to hear from lefty’s and everyone else...not to mention sweet place to purchase a build kit ....looking to do a colonial 1700 piece ....
Well, this thread went exactly as I thought it would. There are leftys like myself who are fine with right handed guns, and others who can't stand them. My best suggestion is still to find a way to get a hold of and try both before making a big investment.

FWIW....I've never seen a right hander trying to adapt to a L/H gun.
I did as we have weak Side targets on our woods walks. And used to do well, until a unrelated eye injury resulted in a scarred cornea in my left eye. Oops that’s a right handed gun shot from the left shoulder. Sorta the same? BJH

Back