• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left-handed Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol vern

40 Cal.
Reaction score
:confused:
I am a southpaw. I build my guns with a lefthanded locks.

I have seen a couple of antique guns stocked for a left handed person but the lock was a standard right handed lock.

Here is my question to all you collector and history correct types.

Has anyone ever seen a antique single barreled gun stocked for a lefty with a left-handed lock?

North Star West says there were original Chief's Grade trade guns made lefthanded. I don't know what their reference was. Look at their description of the Chief's Grade at www.northstarwest.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that I once saw a single barrel percussion fowler that was built as a left hander. Probably late period and English but that I couldn't swear to.

Once the flint doubles became common, I suppose that a left hander could be easily made.

I've seen guns made with major cast-on for left handed shooters but they were basically right handed guns with very crooked stocks. And they were very early.

In Chandler and Whiskers' book "Behold, The Longrifle", on page 223 they show a Tristan Campbell left handed "fur trade" gun. It is a halfstock rifle looking a little like a Hawken. The left handed lock is a back action lock.

If I recall right, there was a left handed fusil found in an Indian burial site down in one of the southern states.

Vern,
The answer is emphatically yes. There are not a lot of them but they were made. From what I can determine many southpaws shot right handed rifles lefty, but there were a few who could afford the real thing. I shoot underhammers for that reason and perhaps so did the old timers.
Mark

Latest posts

Back